Getting out of your comfort zone
Are we really following our dreams or are we just getting by? This has been bugging me for the last few days. Are we really just too comfortable living our lives the way we do or are just too scared to explore our options?
There are numerous quotes about dreaming,the fact that we live just once and that we should follow our dreams. But how possible is it to really follow your dreams? The average person’s daily routine consists of waking up,eating breakfast(in some cases),taking a form of transportation to their work, performing job duties, going home,relaxing, eating dinner and going to sleep. But are we just too stuck in our daily activities? When was the last time you took time out of your day to open a book and read 10 pages? Or looked into booking a vacation to somewhere you haven’t been,perhaps a foreign country? Or simply didn’t take your car to go to the gym,but instead walked for 20 minutes? Yes, do think about this for a moment. We(humans)look for the easy way,for the daily routine we are so used to. But are we really satisfied with how quick time is passing by and we are just sitting and waiting for yet another day to pass? Why are we not setting achievable goals more often? How about that cooking class you always wanted to take? Or volunteering to help people with disabilities? Or even learning to video edit or making your own website?
Get out of your comfort zone! Do it now! Scared of heights, well then go to the observation deck of the highest building in your city. I won’t make you jump out of a plane,like I did, but even a smaller step is a step in the right direction. Always wanted to learn to create a website to show people your hobby or small business? Websites like https://www.codecademy.com are completely free, user friendly and you can learn on your own pace. Always wanted to write or explore your thoughts? Well, there is a great place for this and it is here http://Medium.com How about now? Do you still think you are better staying in your comfort zone,where it’s safe but nothing happens? If you don’t know how to do something,always say “yes” and you will learn it with time.
When you initially get out of your comfort zone you might feel a little scared,but trust me it is “good scared”. You will feel like you want to give up at first, but don’t-every beginning is hard, it is the outcome that matters. And finally, here are couple of small steps to finally do what you always wanted to do:
- Make a list and place it somewhere visible for example on your mirror or fridge or a place you see every day.
- Explore different dreams, activities and hobbies.
- Download a smart calendar app on your phone or a daily habit tracker, there are plenty of great ones available on the App Store or Google Play.
- Don’t ever say you don’t have time for something new. A good example of finding time would be if you cut down an hour of TV a night,you can focus this time on doing yoga in the park or whatever you have on your list. Most classes are around an hour so it will be time well spent.
5. Check/mark your new activities off. Nothing makes you feel more accomplished than crossing something new you have tried.
6. It doesn’t matter how silly or small it may be, it has a purpose and it matters to you, so it is important.
7. Don’t be scared, every new beginning opens a list of possibilities. Maybe that photography class you are about to take will turn into your new job, or a new place to live, or meeting your spouse, or simply your passion and the change you needed to make.
Don’t be afraid, getting out of your “Ok” zone is actually great!