Disclaimer: This is a copy and update of the original blog post that has been offline at times. Made for better availability.
If you have a Ledger device, you can now use it with NanoVault to securely access and send your Nano. Paired together, it is the safest and easiest way to send and receive Nano available! Using this guide you can learn everything needed to send and receive Nano on your Ledger device with NanoVault.
If you prefer a full video guide instead, scroll down to the bottom but it may be outdated.
Installing The Nano Application
- Connect your Ledger device via USB to your computer and use your PIN to unlock it.
2. Open the Ledger Live and choose how to connect your device.
3. Open the Ledger Live Manager.
Confirm on the device to allow the Ledger Manager. Search for nano and install.
When the nano app has been installed you should close Ledger Live because a Nano wallet is not yet supported from inside the application. You will use nanovault.io for that.
4. Open the Nano application on your Ledger device, you should see ‘Use wallet to view accounts’. If so, you are ready to go!
Configuring Your Ledger With NanoVault
Note: To be able to use your Ledger device with the web wallet, you must be using a Chrome, Brave or Opera browser, and the Ledger Manager application must be closed. There may be issues in some Win 10 patch versions and recommended to use the desktop version found here.
- From the NanoVault homepage, choose the option to ‘Import An Existing Wallet’, and then select the ‘Ledger Nano S’ option from the import type dropdown. Ledger Nano X should work as well even if you choose S.
- The status of your Ledger device will be shown below. Make sure your Ledger device is unlocked with the Nano application open. If necessary, press the button below the account balance to re-check the status of your Ledger after opening the Nano application.
- Once the Ledger is detected, your main Nano account address will be imported into NanoVault and your wallet is ready to use! Other wallets supporting Ledger and Nano (or import of the Ledger mnemonic) may not support the use of multiple Nano accounts. So keep that in mind if you choose to add more accounts.
Your Ledger Status
On the left navigation, you can find the current status of your Ledger device. When it is not connected, you will be unable to sign any new transactions or add new accounts. If the device status seems wrong, you can click on it to attempt to reconnect to the Ledger device. Your Ledger will only be marked as ready when it is unlocked and the Nano application is open.
Once your ledger wallet is imported, you can use the ‘Accounts’ page to view the current status of all your Nano accounts. By clicking on one of your accounts, you can view the full details including transaction history.
- Open the ‘Send’ page from the left navigation
- Select the account you would like to send from and enter the address of the Nano account you would like to send to (Or select a contact from your address book)
- Enter the exact amount of Nano you would like to send (Or use the FIAT input below to have it automatically converted)
- Press ‘Send Nano’, then use the confirmation page to ensure the destination and amount are correct.
- If they are, press ‘Confirm Transaction’ which will send the transaction information to your Ledger device.
- On your Ledger device, ensure that the account, destination, and amount look accurate, then use the buttons on your Ledger device to confirm or deny the transaction.
By default, NanoVault will attempt to receive incoming transactions automatically. This means that when leaving the wallet open, or re-opening it, pending transactions will be sent to your Ledger device for confirmation as soon as possible. Most of the time, you should not have to worry about manually receiving a transaction, but if you do, you can use the following process:
- Open the ‘Receive’ page from the left navigation. (This page only appears when you have pending transactions)
- Press the ‘Receive’ button on the transaction you want to approve. This will trigger a confirmation on your Ledger device.
- On your Ledger device, ensure that the transaction information looks correct, then use the buttons on your Ledger device to confirm or deny the transaction.
Changing Your Representative
- From the ‘Accounts’ page, click on the account you want to change your representative for to view the Account Details.
- Press the pencil icon on the right side of your account’s current representative (Account must have at least one transaction to change representative)
- Enter your new representatives Nano account address, then press the green checkmark on the right (Or press enter)
- On your Ledger device, ensure that your new representative looks correct, then use the buttons on your Ledger device to confirm or deny the change.
With that information, you are ready to store Nano with your Ledger Device and access it easily at any time using NanoVault! Besides just supporting Ledger devices, NanoVault also adds in lots of helpful features such as local currency values, a fully integrated address book, and more which make sending and receiving Nano simple and secure.
NanoVault does not store any information about you on a server. The only information stored is in your local browser storage which allows you to use your wallet more easily on subsequent visits. With a Ledger device, the only information stored is your public account addresses, since that is the only information exposed by the Ledger device.