Designed specifically for the DJI Phantom 4, the ‘Intelligent Flight Battery’ is a Lithium Polymer unit with a voltage of 15.2v and a capacity of 5350mAh which gives users an extended flight time and increases reliability. The official DJI charger which comes alongside the battery has an output power of 100w.
According to DJI, the Phantom 4 Intelligent Flight Battery makes this sleek quadcopter 25% more effective than its predecessor, the Phantom 3.
Facts & Features
To fully understand this innovative LiPo unit, it’s necessary to break down all of the available information. Below are the key facts and features associated with the Phantom 4’s Intelligent Flight Battery.
- Capacity: 5350mAh
- Voltage: 15.2v
- Type: LiPo 4S
- Energy: 81.3Wh
- Weight: 462g
- Height: 2”
- Length: 3”
- Width: 1”
- Battery Life: 24–28 minutes
- Power 100w
- Voltage 17.4v
Buy the Phantom 4 Intelligent Flight Battery here
- Increased capacity to enable longer flights
- Over-charge and over-discharge protection
- LED indicators display the battery level
- Integrated power management and balanced charging capability
- Smart charge / discharge functions protect the Phantom 4 battery
- Simple to install and remove
The Intelligent Flight Battery In Action
Now that we have a basic understanding of the Phantom 4‘s battery, it’s time to focus on how to use it correctly. Use the following guidance when powering up your quadcopter to ensure a safe, reliable flight.
Using the Battery
When activating the battery, press the ‘Power Button’ once, then press again and hold for 2 seconds to turn it on. The button’s LED will turn red before changing green and the Battery Level Indicators will display the current charge level.
To turn the battery off, follow the same steps, the Power Button LED will flash when powering down.
See our accessories section for more Phantom 4 add-ons
- You must fully charge the battery before your first flight
- Always turn off the battery before inserting it or removing it from the Phantom 4
- Never insert or remove the battery when it is active
Charging the Battery
- Connect the Battery Charger to a power source
- Open the protection cap and connect the Intelligent Flight Battery to the Battery Charger
- The Battery Level Indicator (LEDs) will display the current charge level
- The battery is fully charged when all of the LEDs have turned off
- Air-cool the battery after each flight, allowing it to reach room temperature before storage
- Batteries must be charged using a DJI approved adapter (warranty will be voided if a non-DJI charger causes issues)
- Wherever possible, don’t leave the battery unattended during charging
Providing an astounding level of efficiency for DJI’s headline quadcopter, the Intelligent Flight Battery proves to be one of the most impressive additions to the Phantom 4. Allowing a generous flight time, fitted with numerous safety features and the ability to display its charge level in real time, this battery is another great innovation from DJI.
Our technicians had this to say about their experience with the batteries:
“They charge and are used in almost exactly the same way as the older craft, albeit with an improved connector, and a design that integrates much better with the style of the craft overall.”
“Battery life was impressive during tests and lasted well into the 25-minute mark before we would come back and land — even when using Sport Mode.”
If you require any more information regarding the Phantom 4’s battery, the craft itself or just want to chat to a member of our team don’t hesitate to get in touch.
UK: 0845 838 8652
Int: +44 (0)191 296 1024
Keep checking back to Heliguy Insider for the rest of our ‘Phantom 4 In Depth’ series and the latest drone industry news.