Experience of being a designer
Alison Garnett, a Toronto-based creative director with over 20 years of global and national design, advertising and digital experience, came to our protopic class to give us a presentation about her experience of being a designer.
What is this article about:
- Field Trip &Co.
- Company’s projects
- Her Story
- Her advice of being a designer
- Reference links.
Field Trip & Co.
1 year ago, She and her friend launched the Toronto-based creative studio, Field Trip & Co. Their team works collaboratively with clients to build out compelling brand stories and crafted design, across multiple disciplines and platforms.
We don’t wait for inspiration to come to us. We go out and find it. By letting curiosity take the lead, we gather new experiences that lead to new ideas.
Work / Projects
- Client: ICA Canada
Team Role: Branding
The Institute of Communication Agencies is a non-profit organization that represents the majority of all national…www.fieldtripand.co
2. Client: Waterfront Toronto — — Pop Up Event
Team Role: Environmental graphics
Waterfront Toronto's mission is to tackle the social, economic, community and environmental well-being of Toronto and…www.fieldtripand.co
3. Client: JK Reps
Team Role: Brand strategy, Brand identity, Packaging
This idea was the undercurrent that ran through a bold and beautiful promo we designed for JK Reps, a Toronto…www.fieldtripand.co
- They also worked with Sapient Razorfish
2. “Meet the Tufties” website, mobile app (learn how to wrap a gift via a game)
This season, The Tufties™ are bringing the holiday magic to Cadillac Fairview. But when you're not at the mall, there's…www.cfshops.com
3. Toronto Eaton Centre Mobile App
Alison Garnett graduates from the program and also OCAD U. She is a creative director, designer, writer, account manager, good cop/bad cop, producer, wrangler, illustrator, information architect, negotiator, presenter, admin, and she buys the bagels on Thursday.
She won’t be spending 100% time designing. Design only occupies 10% of her time. She considers herself a juggler. She has to juggle spouse, kids, dog, work, etc. She takes pride in time management.
Her Education Path
OCAD → Sheridan
- She graduated, but she didn’t want to be a painter.
- Her parents asked if she wanted to go into the IMM program at Sheridan, and though she didn’t have design as a background, she put together her paintings.
First Job: ICE
She got her first freelance work in ICE, and she met Steve Mykolyn, Sean Patrick, Kaye Pulman.
She was doing print design as well. She liked illustrating, so she did some illustration. She was learning as much as she could, and getting tons of experience. Kaye was influential to her career in her first job.
She also did some freelance work, like Critical Mass, Sapient Nitro etc
Her tips of being a designer
- DON’T BE AN ASSHOLE: what goes around does come around. it doesn’t pay off.
- Everything is an opportunity: it’s best to make the best of it.
- Surround yourself with good people and you will look good
- Raise your hand: show that you’re interested
- Follow Up: networking. any interview that you have, e-mail them to thank them that it was a great experience and thank them for their time
- Don’t steal ideas from Pinterest
- Work hard
- Keep on learning
- Go outside of your comfort zone
- Don’t be defensive
Built on a foundation of curiosity, craft and collaboration, we are empathetic listeners who believe that understanding…www.fieldtripand.co