Each day in February, I’ll set a timer for 20 minutes and write a “sketch” inspired by the prompt for the day.
Day 20: People watching
It’s people watching time again. Last week, I wrote down 35 things I saw. Here are 25 things I heard today:
- Crunchy rice cakes.
- A creaking desk chair.
- A crinkling plastic bag.
- An uneven table leg tapping on the floor.
- Snow, creaking — but not in the same way the desk chair was creaking — under my boots. I had missed that sound.
- A blender revving ’til it smelled like its motor was burning up.
- A fountain pen moving across the page with a whispering sound.
- Tinnitus, thankfully not all the time.
- A voice I‘m more than a little fond of.
- My own mispronunciations in French.
- Zippers of the jacket and backpack sort.
- the espresso pot gurgling, ready.
- towels thumping in the dryer.
- Melting snow dripping from the roof.
- Distant surf.
- Vice’s podcast on El Chapo.
- Mötley Crüe.
- The alarm reminding me to shut the fridge.
- The morning news on TV because I’m home and my family starts their day like that.
- A snowplow: also crunchy but not like rice cakes.
- My camera’s shutter.
- Tummy growling before rice cakes.
- My external hard drive doing it’s thing, like it’s about to take off.
- Footsteps after I slept in.
- The timer going off.