Each day in February, I’ll set a timer for 20 minutes and write a “sketch” inspired by the prompt for the day.
Day 13: People Watching
Once again, the prompt is to go out and people watch. What follows is a list of 35 things I saw today. This is an exercise I picked up in a writing class in college. It’s good for getting the words out and helping you get over the feeling that words have to be mind-blowing before they’re worth jotting down. Just write what you saw today. I find whenever I do this, I start to notice when I’m full of shit, trying to sound cool or to have seen the “right” things.
Here’s what I saw today.
- Whitecaps out at sea.
- A teabag on the counter.
- The wastebasket, full to the brim, in the bathroom.
- The flash from my own camera in my eyes taking a selfie that came out blurry.
- My index finger putting in contacts.
- Spilled ice water.
- A rusty chair.
- Foam washing up on the beach.
- Sand blowing in a near gale.
- The owners manual for a malfunctioning washer-dryer.
- My parents' portraits on the screen on the back of my new camera.
- A cluttered storage unit.
- A gecko.
- Speed traps on the state highway.
- A vintage Rolex Submariner.
- Positivity on Reddit.
- A recipe for overnight oats.
- A picture of Jimmy Breslin smoking a cigar.
- The owner of a new restaurant checking in on his customers.
- A badly disguised rat trap.
- A lady in a pink visor walking with a man in a bucket hat.
- A bumper sticker of the silhouette of a handgun shaped like the state of Florida.
- A cut from shaving
- The blinking cursor.
- Seagrass bending in the wind.
- Laundry I forgot to throw in the wash.
- Some damn convincing clickbait. They got me.
- A horse and carriage tour with some cold-looking passengers.
- Pellegrino bottles.
- The check engine light. It went off eventually.
- Palm trees.
- Orange streetlights.
- A green smoothie.