Receipt — “28 to Make”
Each day in February, I’ll set a timer for 20 minutes and write a “sketch” inspired by the prompt for the day.
Day 5: Sketch a receipt.
What follows is a short list of things I would return if I had kept the receipt:
- Every phone I’ve ever owned except the Motorola Razr I wish I still had.
- My college education, except for random electives like “Picasso and Matisse” and “Japanese Religions.”
- All the trips to the dentist where no cavities were found.
- Every purchase I justified by saying “only in Japan.”
- Most of the times I’ve paid a cover to get in.
- Boat shoes. Who did I think I was?
- My first tattoo.
- Baggy jeans and board shorts.
- Necklaces of any kind. Yes, I wore one of those scumbaggy silver chains in my youth.
- Bad haircuts.
- The food I buy at airports.
- U2’s albums from 2000 on.
- All those NOW CDs.
- The Lacoste tracksuit top I bought with my first grown-up paycheck.