Everything You Need to Know About Dan Clark’s Fat Blast Challenge
Follow Dan “Nitro” Clark’s Fat Blast Challenge for the next four weeks and turn your body into a fat-burning machine!
- Eat foods that promote fat burn, rather than fat storage. Lean protein, vegetables, healthy fats, and fruit in moderation (see detailed list, below) are the building blocks of this diet.
- Track your diet on Lift. We’ve set up the plan so that you’ll eat one meal on the diet the first day and fully adopt the diet on the second day.
- Read this guide. If you have more questions, ask them in the Q&A section when you check in to Lift.
- Get a fat-blasting buddy. Enlist a friend, partner, or spouse to go on this journey with you. A fat-blasting buddy keeps you motivated, supports your success, and holds you accountable.
HOW DOES THIS DIET WORK?
When your insulin levels are raised, your body is in “fat storage” mode. The key to the Dan’s Fat Blast Diet is to keep insulin levels low so that stored fat can be blasted for energy.
The basic scientific concept is simple. Eating foods that increase your blood sugar levels triggers the body to secrete insulin. Insulin causes a hormonal change that promotes fat storage. Only when insulin levels drop can you free fat from fat cells and burn it as energy.
When you eat the Fat Blast way it puts your body into a state of “fat burning” so that you will go into your fat reserves for energy, thus decreasing the amount of fat while at the same time losing weight.
Are you ready to start blasting fat and slimming down? Start the Fat Blast Challenge now; flip the switch and let the fat blasting begin!
FAT BLASTING TIPS
- Clear the kitchen. Make no mistake: if non Fat Blast foods lurk in your fridge or cupboard, you will give into temptation at some point. Get rid of them and replace with foods that help you blast fat.
- Eat only FAT BLAST approved foods. This will keep your body blasting fat 24/7! See a list of fat blast-approved in the next section.
- Keep away from easily digestible, sugary carbohydrates. Carbohydrates crank up your insulin levels and shut down your fat-blasting potential.
- Keep it simple. Find your favorite meals and repeat them over and over again. Success rates go up when you don’t have to scramble for food or a recipe.
- Eat protein and good fats with every meal. You should be getting at least 20g or protein at each meal. It will help keep you satiated and ignite the Fat Blast.
- Drink one glass of water before each meal — a minimum of eight glasses a day. Water will fill you up and curb your appetite. Add a slice of lemon to your water to spruce it up.
- Don’t drink your calories. Drinking your calories is the quickest way to shut down your fat-blasting machine. Stick with water. Avoid sodas, fruit juices and alcohol.
- Don’t skip meals. Skipping meals will lead to binge eating and poor choices.
- Work out at least 30 minutes day. Exercise has tons of benefits, goes hand in hand with the Fat Blast Challenge and will help speed up results!
Eat proteins with every meal. Protein helps build and maintain muscle. Protein also helps you feel satiated.
- Meats (preferably grass-fed lean cuts)
- Pork (including bacon)
- Eggs (one yolk for every three eggs)
- Protein powders (must be low carb and low sugar, three grams max per serving)
Eat vegetables with every meal. Eat as much as you’d like of anything green and leafy. Veggies fill your stomach and are usually low calorie, nutrient dense and high in fiber.
- Green leafy veggies (spinach, kale, romaine, arugula, etc.)
- Celery, okra, sprouts, zucchini, cucumbers
- Mixed veggies (broccoli, bok choy, chard, etc.)
- Green beans
Eat healthy fats at every meal. Good fats don’t make you fat; easily digestible, insulin-spiking carbs/sugars and lack of exercise make you fat.
- Extra virgin olive oil for dressing
- Virgin olive oil for for cooking
- Fish oil
- Coconut oil (raw, virgin and organic; great for cooking or by the spoonful)
- Nuts and seeds (in moderation)
- Almond milk (unsweetened)
Consume dairy to your preference, based on how you tolerate lactose. Dan doesn’t drink milk, but got good results while eating cheese, having cream in his coffee and ghee on vegetables.
- Cheese (four ounces a day)
- Feta and crumbled goat cheese (great for salads)
- Cream (two tablespoons a day)
- Butter (from grass-fed cows is best)
- Ghee (clarified butter with lactose and casein removed)
- Greek yogurt (unsweetened)
- Cottage cheese
Eat fruits in moderation. If you are not dropping fat and weight or have had issues losing weight in the past, you should limit or avoid fruit. For best results, stick with low-glycemic fruits like these:
Abstain from alcohol, for best results. If you do decide to drink alcohol, Dan recommends sticking with the below:
- Red wine (1–2 glasses)
- Low-carb beer (e.g., Michelob Ultra), unless you are gluten intolerant.
- Hard liquor (stick with clear alcohols and avoid additives; try tequila or vodka with limejuice and a splash of soda)
Breakfast sets the tone for the rest of the day. Here are some fat-blasting favorites:
- Omelet with spinach, cheese, bacon or sausage (and unlimited stir-fried veggies)
- Three eggs with cheese/avocado, drizzled with olive oil and protein of choice
- Dan’s famous spinach, avocado, blueberry protein smoothie
- Plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt with ½ scoop (15g) of protein powder and handful of almonds.
- Coffee or tea is fine! Add a teaspoon of coconut oil for flavor and or ¼ teaspoon of ghee butter. Add cinnamon to taste — it helps control blood sugar levels.
Make each lunch and dinner a combination of protein and vegetables. There are as many ways to prepare as you are creative, but Dan suggests keeping it simple and eating the same meals over and over again.
- Dan’s spinach/arugula salad with feta cheese and protein of choice. This is Dan’s favorite!
- Tuna in olive oil with avocado on the side. Sprinkle with garlic salt and cayenne to spice it up.
- Grass-fed hamburger with cheddar cheese, salad and side of vegetables.
- Steak on a bed of arugula drizzled in olive oil, lemon juice and with Parmesan cheese.
- Chicken, asparagus with bacon, and steamed vegetables.
- Chipotle salad bowl with choice of meat, cheese and avocado. Hold the rice and beans.
- Turkey burger, Swiss cheese, sprinkled with cayenne pepper and broccoli spears with lemon and ghee butter.
- Grilled salmon ghee butter salmon with grilled zucchini and a salad.
- Chicken/steak/fish lettuce rap tacos. Delicious!
- Flank steak salad with arugula, bell peppers, feta cheese, pine nuts drizzled in olive oil and lemon.
Eat roughly two snacks each day. These will be your bridge between meals. Remember to only pick items from the FAT BLAST approved foods.
- Apples/celery with almond butter
- Almonds with dried cranberries
- Plain Greek yogurt with blueberries
- Quest protein bars. These are Dan’s favorite. Start with ½ a bar per snack.
- Whey protein smoothie. Dan doesn’t add avocado to snack shakes.
- Cottage cheese
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Beef jerky. Look for the healthier version in health food stores.
Stick to the FAT BLAST diet when eating out. Eating out isn’t rocket science and shouldn’t stress you out. Here are the simple rules Dan follows:
- Order a grilled, baked or roasted protein. Say no to the rice, potatoes, breads, tortillas and ask for extra vegetables or/and salad instead.
- Eat a dinner salad without the croutons.
- Never let them put bread or chips on the table. If it’s not there, you can’t eat it. No need to test you willpower.
- Order a burger without the bun. At In-N-Out Burger, order your burger protein style, but hold the secret sauce.
- Asian food? Grilled, baked, curried protein with a pile of steamed vegetables.
- Mexican food? Stick with chicken, steak or pork with vegetables and extra guacamole. Fajitas are another great option.
- Japanese food? Chicken, shrimp or beef grilled but hold the teriyaki. Sashimi and sashimi salads are another great choice. But hold the rice.
- Fast food? Almost all chains have salads. Dan only eats this as a last resort when he’s traveling and there is nothing else available. Skip the dressing: it’s loaded with sugar and soybean oil.
Find “go-to” meals. Find meals you like from the FAT BLAST approved meals and use them as your staples. These are meals that Dan eats over and over again:
- Delicious spinach or kale salad, with feta cheese, an avocado, olive oil, black olives, fresh squeezed lemon, teaspoon of vinegar, sea salt, pepper and on some days a hint of cayenne to spice it up. With kale salad, Dan combines the ingredients and lets them marinade for 10 minutes to soften the kale.
- Always include a serving of protein with salad. Chicken breast, steak, hard-boiled eggs, turkey, tuna, salmon (canned is fine). Trader Joe’s is great for inexpensive pre-cooked, sliced chicken or turkey for the salad.
- Asparagus or green beans with bacon, olive oil and garlic salt. Place asparagus in a zip lock bag. Add lemon, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and real cooked bacon crumbles. Close bag and zap in micro for 2 minutes. Comes out awesome!
- Grilled hamburger with a slice of cheddar cheese, on top of arugula salad. Prepare salad some way as spinach except substitute Parmesan cheese for the feta.
- Cheddar cheese and spinach omelet cooked in Ghee butter with bacon.
- Can of tuna or salmon with a half of an avocado. Dan adds a little cayenne to spice it up.
- Celery sticks or apple slices and almond butter.
- Protein shake with spinach, ½ avocado, ¼ blueberries. Put contents in blender with 6 ice cubes and 8–12 ounces of water and blend. The avocado adds a delicious creaminess to the shake.
- Almonds with dried cranberries or cherries. Dan has a mixed bowl of these on the kitchen counter and at his office. The dried fruit is a bit of a cheat. Be mindful of how many nuts you eat as they are calorie dense.
YOU’RE READY TO GO!
Good luck on the FAT BLAST DIET. Here are some final tips:
- Remember to track your progress on Lift. Download Lift for your iPhone, Android phone, or web browser.
- Comment and post on Lift.
- Ask questions on Lift if you are unclear on need additional information.
- Choose organic, nutrient dense foods when available!