HMRC and registering with the government

If you do decide to become a freelance photographer, you will have to register yourself as self-employed with the government. You can do this by going onto and you will need some basic information, such as your National Insurance number and your date of birth.

It is also important to notify HMRC about the money you have earned and how much you have spent to earn that money in order to claim it back. To do so you will need to submit a self assessment tax return each year. All information regarding tax returns can be found on this website.

A solution to this would be to employ an accountant. They can be low cost, depending on who you research, and they save a large amount of time as they do all the work for you. A disadvantage is that it is still a cost to you to employ them. An example of an accountant for photographers is linked below:

Show your support

Clapping shows how much you appreciated Daniel Flynn’s story.