The Whatever System
It has been pointed out to me that not every article successfully conveys which thing I am taking for my system. This article will therefore be used to collect what I think my system looks like at any given point.
- Complications will exist. Their exact form isn’t decided yet, since it is going to depend greatly on the central conflict resolution mechanic. I love the flexibility of Complications too much to not include them, though.
- Conflict resolution will center around dice. I do not yet know if those will be 20-sided dice like in d20, or something closer to the Cortex Plus system, but I don’t really like the card system for conflict resolution.
Yup, that’s about all that I know for sure. Here’s some leanings that I have.
- I am leaning toward the central conflict resolution being d20-based. Rolling multiple dice and adding those together slows things down just enough that I am leaning away from it, though I do like the curve a lot better.
- I am leaning toward feats being a custom-created thing. The flexibility is nice, and something I want to replicate. I am nervous, though. Custom-created feats aren’t necessarily more complex than the way that Pathfinder does it, but the complexity is moved to a different place. And if I am not careful create-your-own is going to be a place that min-maxers go to to abuse.
- I think I like the Ability Scores being Physical, Mental, and Social. It reduces the confusion about whether something is Intelligence or Wisdom (it’s just Mental), and the confusion that I sometimes have about whether something is Dexterity (an ability score) or Acrobatics (a skill).