Myki Brief — Case Study

About the Brief

The Myki brief has been designed for us students to somehow improve the system and improve the user experience for people that travel on public transport. We have all used public transport once and for us students it is an everyday thing we rely on. From experience I have had many problems with the Myki systems so its a great way to reflect and test my ideas I have thought of before, while having troubles with this system. The main focus is to examine the current transport experience and start brainstorming from there, on how others react or even from your own experience. Researching and quizzing people will also help as our target audience will have opinions of this topic. Overall we need to improve some element in the Myki system that will at least impact the user experience of traveling.

Research Stage

We started off by participating in an initial research workshop. We went through 5 areas including: People, Place, Products, Processes and Performance. We then noted down on post-it notes explaining these 5 focus points relevant to the Myki system. Going through our answer and other students answers, we combined ideas and went on to the next stage. Territory mapping was the next stage which was essentially putting our post-it notes into new categories to then create assumptions about how Myki users and what solutions we could come up with.


After coming up with assumptions we then had to create questions that were relevant to the the notes and assumptions. The questions would then be used to survey people, which was a great source of research. We went out for the day and payed a visit to Flinders Street train station to survey the everyday users of public transport. From this information we had to collect qualitative and quantitive data.

(examples of one of the data graphs)
(examples of the survey documentation)

Synthesis Stage

For the next stage we participated in a data analysis works shop to create an affinity map. From the affinity map we began creating our personas for our target audience. My target audience was based on people that use public transport. For each persona I chose a different type of transportation they use, for example; The first persona travels via train, the other by bus and the last one uses the tram. This way I could experiment with all types of public transport to then decide which one I would use for my customer journey map.

(Persona #1)
(Persona #2)
(Persona #3)

Journey Map

After completing our personas, we moved on to concepts for our customer journey maps. We started off with a bit of research, a few thumbnails and then moved on to creating full drawn up concepts of the display of the journey maps. We then received feedback from our tutors, to then create the final journey map for our presentation. The journey map had to include key actions, behaviours, pain points and opportunities.

(draft concept — including feedback)
(digital draft — including feedback)
(final customer journey map)

Ideation Stage

The next stage was mainly deciding on an idea for improving the Myki system, whether it be an app or website, it was time to make the final decision. We started with a brainstorming workshop, working in groups of 3, we had to come up with 10 ideas from all of our research and then out of the 10 pick 1 to go with. I chose to design an app that would allow you to check your balance, top up and be able to create an account that would let you access your information about your card. We first started with sketched wireframes and received feedback. Our concepts had to be relevant to our main focus of what we want to improve for the Myki system.

(key screens for the app prototype)

After receiving feedback on the sketched wireframes, we moved on to making digital wireframes and then receiving more feedback for the final prototype that will be used for user testing. From the feedback I had to include a few more pages because the user needs to be able to complete 3 tasks for the user test.

(screens made from concept sketches)
(screens made from concept sketches)

User Testing Stage

After developing the prototype it was time to test people and see how well the solution works. We had to include pre and post questionnaires for the users to fill out and for personal reasons ask they sign a consent form to be able to record the session to research purposes.

(set up for user test)
(jess completing the user test)

I completed 3 user tests and they all went very smoothly and had some great feedback to finish off with. User found the app prototype easy to use but there was one thing that was mentioned a few times which was a notifications option. Also another one was a screen that would show you completing a transaction. From this feedback I created a few more parts to the prototype and finished the user testing stage.

(Final pages and refinements made)
(user flow)


Overall the project went very well, I had thought of this idea many times while catching a train, wanting to check my balance or topping up while waiting in line or while i’m on the bus. From the start I think i was already set on doing an app with these type of features as I know how useful they would be for me. It was such an interesting brief, brainstorming ways to improve a system that is so popular and used so often.

Future Improvements

Future improvements may be not being set on your first idea straight away, there were plenty of times i came up with a new idea in the workshops we did but then always thought to myself it would be easier to just stick to my first idea. Maybe not so much easier but I just wanted to see how it would turn out and see if it actually was a good idea or not.