Universal Basic income is one of those things that I feel SO conflicted about.
garli
34

I agree. So conflicted. So UnAmerican. As a thought experiment at a family function related to increasingly the economy doing well but needing less people I asked “What if 10% of people made a $1 billion a year and the other 90% got paid $50,000 to do nothing. Is this an okay outcome?” I immediately was told “That is communism!” I countered with “No it is not. This is capitalism run wild with the haves/have nots dividing going ridiculously wide and then taxed to support those who this free market economy don’t need for work but still need as consumers.” Still it just feels weird…

Show your support

Clapping shows how much you appreciated danw81’s story.