Stay in your L.A.N.E.
When comes to “staying in your lane” or living the life you were created to live, you have to do 4 things:
- Love what you do. — Check these scriptures out.
Ephesians 3:20 — Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us.
John 10:10 — The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Ecclesiastes 3:12–13 — I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. 13 That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil — this is the gift of God.
If these verses don’t speak to the fact that God has something better for us than we can imagine, then I’m reading it wrong.
Here are some equations that have helped me understand calling:
- Burden + Opportunity = Calling
- Opportunity — Burden = JOB
- Burden — Opportunity = Wait
2. Audit yourself. — “Know thyself” is how the philosophers liked to say it back in the day. What are you great at? What do you suck at? Self-awareness is one of the most important qualities in anybody who’s looking to make a difference.
3. Never let a good thing trump the God thing. — The greatest threat to your calling is your potential. Calling makes you productive, where potential can make you busy. Calling keeps you in line, where potential can lead you astray.
4. Everything is at stake. Ephesians 2:10 says that you were “created in Christ for the good things he planned for you long ago.” Ephesians 4 says that we have been reconciled to God, and now we’ve been given the ministry of reconciliation. In other words, WE are God’s plan to accomplish His mission. That will happen when each of us embraces our calling, and is willing to stay in our lane.
Final thoughts: Staying in your lane is obedience. It’s moving when God says move and staying when He says stay. The more you listen and obey, the more satisfaction will come your way. When you know what your lane is, you will begin to crush! That’s what you want. Even more, that’s what God wants!