Reading List — 6 months > 22nd Feb 2016
I thought I’d do the obligatory reading list, both to share what I’m reading, but also to have a kick up the ass to get a move on and finish some of these. I really believe that reading broadens your viewpoint and expands your thinking. If you don’t read much, change that.
You’ll see that I have a few on the go at the same time, but the trick is that I listen to audio books, a lot (through Audible). In the car, on the plane, on the train, in bed etc. I find they are a really good way of easily detaching from the current day, without the need to carry a dead tree, or use kindle on my phone. You can often, but not always, do other things as well.
So in no particular order, here’s what I’m reading/have read/will read.
- My Early Life, Churchill, Sir Winston S.
- Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch Book 1), Ann Leckie
- Shogun, James Cavell (Audio book)
- Make Me, Lee Child (Audio book)
- The Go Programming Language, Donovan, Alan A. A.
- The Cathedral & the Bazaar, Eric S. Raymond
- Docker in Production, Lessons from the Trenches, Joe Johnston, John Fiedler, Milos Gajdos, Antoni Batchelli, Justin Cormack
- Station Eleven, Emily St. John Mandel
- The Stone Man, Luke Smitherd
- The Martian, Andy Weir (Audio book)
- Man’s Search For Meaning: The classic tribute to hope from the Holocaust, Viktor E Frankl
- Use of Weapons, Iain M Banks (Audio book)
- The Player of Games, Iain M Banks (Audio book)
- Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery, Henry Marsh
- Building Microservices, Sam Newman
- How Google Works, Eric Smidt
- The Phoenix Project, Kevin Behr, George Spafford, Gene Kim
- The Places in Between, Rory Stewart
- Hard Time, Shaun Attwood
- Lean from the Trenches, Henrick Kniberg
- Ready Player One, Ernest Cline
- Broken Dolls, James Carol
- Release It!: Design and Deploy Production-Ready Software (Pragmatic Programmers), Michael T. Nygard
- Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our Future, Ashlee Vance
- The Challenger Launch Decision: Risky Technology, Culture, and Deviance at NASA, Diane Vaughan
- The Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag, Chol-hwan Kang, Kang Chol-Hwan, Pierre Rigoulot, Yair Reiner
- How to write everything, David Quantick (Audio book)
- House of Silk, Anthony Horowitz
- The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi
- Bushido: The Way of the Samurai, Tsunetomo Yamamoto
- A Brief History of the Samurai, Jonathan Clements
- Joy, Inc, Richard Sheridan
If you have any good suggestions on new reading material, let me know. I aim to update this list often.