Goals I will Achieve in 2016
This year I wanted to try something new that I’m hoping will help me develop as a better goal setter. I realized I set a lot of goals but often come short to achieving them and I wanted to document my process as I work towards these next goals. So here goes…
- Learn SQL and a programming language (Python/Ruby)
- Outstanding evaluation in second co-op
- Find a co-op outside of Jobmine for 3rd term in Winter 2017
- Work on a project
- Consistently write in this blog
- Maintain an exercise regime
- Read more
- Reflect regularly
These 8 goals (although more may be added later) can be categorized as a habit, short-term or long-term goal.
- I’ve put off learning to code for a while and I’ve decided it’s about time to start taking it seriously. The plan is to complete codeacademy’s intro course to python, as well as OneMonth’s intro to Ruby. My goal is complete both within two months. I will schedule for 5 hours each week to spend on coding and that should be plenty of time to complete both courses if I stay on top of my schedule. I will schedule this time on my calendar and work accordingly.
- I hope to earn another outstanding evaluation from my co-op position this term. One of my main reasons of working at a startup is to learn as much as I can and make as big an impact for the company during my time there. I will achieve this from doing my job to the best of my ability as well as taking on more tasks within the company. I am very interested in ad operations and I would like to take part in that once I’m settled into the company (perhaps 2–4 weeks in). Additionally, I hope to pitch my own projects for the company during my term. My current term goal is to be a great growth hacker and this role can help me realize if I like what I do and how good I am at it.
- I’ve been talking about this for a while but I feel Waterloo co-op students depend too much on Jobmine. There are amazing opportunities at all kinds of companies so I’m hoping to research some companies and network with people I want to learn from. As of now, I’m probably going to focus on startups once again and the growth/marketing side of the company. This is what I’m interested in currently and I have approximately 8 months to work on this. Basic idea will probably be to research a bunch of companies, contact a bunch of people and we’ll go from there. But I’m really excited for this journey and can’t wait to see where it takes me.
- This goal is quite iffy. I really do want to build a startup or work on a company but I understand it might be too much at one time, especially when I’m trying to reach my other goals. However, I will spend some time to go over my ideas that I’ve written down on my phone and see if anything sparks an interest. If there is, that’d be exciting but if not, I won’t try to force myself to work on any startup idea simply because it’s “cool”.
- My first habit is very simple. It’s to consistently write in this blog regarding the goals I’ve set for myself as well as when I need to get some stuff off my chest. My goal for this blog currently is not to get a huge amount of readers but to show my friends so they can hold me accountable. Currently, I’m thinking of writing on every other weekend regarding the progress of my short-term goals and once a month on my long-term ones. This may change depending on how I’m progressing but I think it should be manageable.
- This one is a beast. And I’m not even sure why. I have “tried” and FAILED to stick to a workout regime at least 3–4 times already. And in terms of a workout regime, I mean just getting my ass to the gym. So, I’m going to try again but this time, I’m hoping to set my goals a bit clearer and take more time documenting the process. My goal by the end of 2016 is to be able to bench my own weight. I’m currently 185 pounds. I’m okay with my weight but definitely need to build some strength. My parents conveniently bought some workout equipment at home so maybe that’ll erase my excuse of not wanting to go to gym.
- Read more. Pretty self explanatory. I don’t read a lot so my goal is to read at least one book a month if not more. I have plenty of time bussing to and from work so this shouldn’t be too difficult. I’ll try to create a reading list and go from there. Also have a bunch of books on my bookshelf I should probably read.
- Lastly, I want to take the time to reflect. Whether it’s on my progress towards my goals, some of my habits good/bad, or anything else that goes on in my life. I’m hoping that being consistent with blogging will help with my reflection. This is just to take more time to sort through my thoughts and decisions. I’m not too big on the idea of “to fail is to succeed”, unless you really learn something from it. In the upcoming year, I’m hoping to try a lot of new things, meet a lot of new people, and make a lot of mistakes. Constant reflection will be important when learning from those mistakes.
Alright, so I think that’s it for now. I’m pretty happy with writing out these goals and we’ll see what happens from here on out.
Please help hold me accountable. I would really appreciate anyone messaging me to ask me how I’m progressing. But please wait like a week or two. I’m just getting started! To those friends who help me reach these goals, I will treat you to something afterwards! :)