In network computing, we evolved from “client-server” to “web and app” through past half century. They all have central server for date consolidation. A client or peer should connect to a server to get application working.
In blockchain, a peer does not want to talk to a central server. It wants to talk to consensus as a virtual being. There is no garantee or plan on what machine it connects to or never connects to. To achieve this, we require a new computing idea. I called it: server-less computing.
A fast growing smart phone and telecom industry makes server-less computing technically possible. Powerful individual smart phones are the essential building blocks. To allow smart phones to participate, it has to tolerate two things: state-less and permission-less.
Phones do not know when loosing power or entering into elevators, so that it has to be state-less. This means your phone is not responsible for any data availability and continuity. Every stream of data comes and goes randomly and irresponsibly.
It has to be permission-less to participate the application. A phone can choose to join or exit the computing at its free will.
Server-less architecture has immediate benefits:
- no communication encryption is needed under permission-less plan.
- date availability and scalability is achieved by massive state-less participation.
- no servers for hackers to attack
- no cost on hosting, AWS is replaced by smart phones network
- no capacity for proof of work algorithm to operate
Blockchain crypto currency is safe and efficient running on server-less computing network, due to its decentralization and consensus needs. When each smart phone could freely become a blockchain node or miner, consensus is truly globally, robust and immutable.
There is some technical challenges on running crypto currency on pure smart phone server-less network.
- where to get initial data: when you use a server-less software, you also trust its intial recommened data sources.
- who to trust when there is conflict in different data source: smart phones could participate social media to publish opinion on what it observed along the time, in the format of hash sequence with time stamp on third party social media. When conflict chain, such as in reorganization attacking, causing confusion, and smart phone alone can not make decision, this social media diary can help to decide who is the original chain mostly conforming to history, since going back time to change logs is impossible after publicly shared. Yes, here is a social media central server existing. However, this social media server is totally independent from the crypto currency application. It is also up to nodes decision of which public social media to trust. Will there be social media manipulation? That is question whether facebook or twitter is willing to change history content for attackers.
- computing power, network speed and storage constrain on transaction speed and application data size. We just faithfully bet on information technology will grow to make these resources cheap enough.
TAUcoin takes an all-in strategy to implement server-less computing for proof of transaction protocol. Just like web and app never replaced client-server, now we welcome a third network computing framework: sever-less computing.