10 practices you can add to your morning routine to radically improve your life and productivity!
“We first make our habits, and then our habits make us.”
Have you ever considered how you wake up every morning? Up until a little under a year ago I never really did. I just knew that I was not a morning person and it would take me some time to become somewhat conscious and responsive. Fortunately as my passion and interest grew with my studies around human performance and development, I came across a resounding common theme from highly successful people. They all have morning routines of some sort.
My necessity for creating my morning routine stemmed from my frustration of my lack of productiveness throughout the day. Like everyone I had things I wanted and needed to do throughout the day, some more difficult to tackle than others. I avoided the cognitively demanding tasks of reading and studying like the plague and had the intention on starting personal development practices, such as meditating and reading, that may help with my performance. But it wasn’t until a good friend of mine recommended I read The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod that this became clear how damn important and life changing a morning routine can be and is.
Clearly the book was exactly what I needed at the time as I consumed it in one sitting. I immediately implemented what I had read the following day. I won’t go into Hal’s entire process, if you would like to know more I highly recommend reading The Miracle Morning as a great starting place.
Everyone is at different stages in their lives and so implementing a morning routine may be more or less difficult for some. My experience was quite difficult. Waking up early to get a great start on the day was met with a lot of resistence, inconsistency and at times just down right uncomfortable. Deep down I knew this was where the greatest growth would happen.
“Your level of success, will rarely exceed your level of personal development, because success is something you attract by the person you become.”
At the time my work hours varied quite a bit on a daily basis. This made trying to keep my morning routine consistent, just that much more difficult. I knew though in the power of habits and if I could just stick to it long enough that it would eventually become effortless.
I can tell you today, it is just that! Effortlessness with anything though comes from first putting in consistent effort.
After almost 12 months I have perfected my morning routine for me and it has had some incredible benefits on my life thus far. The consistent mental clarity, emotional regulation, energy and productiveness I have everyday is beyond what I could have ever imagined. I am constantly evolving my morning routine, adding, removing and replacing as I learn and discover new hacks, techniques and practices. Being flexible but disciplined with your morning routine is imperative.
Now for the fun part!
CREATING YOUR PERFECT MORNING ROUTINE
Whether you are looking at starting or adding to your existing routine these are 10 of the most effective practices that I have come across and personally use on a daily basis. I encourage you to constantly experiment, add, replace and listen to what resonates with you.
- Keeping to a consistent wake time. (build this habit over time)
- Leave your phone on Airplane Mode until you have completed your morning routine (read more about this here)
- drinking a glass of non-flouridated water upon rising
- Measuring your HRV (autonomic nervous system) with a chest strap and app like Elite HRV
- Track your routine with Morning Routine: Daily Habit Tracker app
- Practice meditation (experiment and find what you like) with whatever length of time you can manage. I’m currently on a 88 day streak on the Headspace app
- Journal your thoughts and/or write 3 things you are grateful for with the 5-minute Journal app
- Incorporate movement, no matter how little.
- Read an article, book or something that can further your knowledge, and perspective, even if only for 10 minutes. consistency is key.
- Last but not least and ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT is getting outside and getting that morning sun into your eyes. (allowing the cascade of neurotransmitter release to set you up for the day)
Now, CARPE DIEM!
ADAPT EVOLVE THRIVE
If you are interested in what my exact morning routine looks like or wanting to implement a morning routine designed for you, head on over to www.daynebarkley.com and schedule a FREE initial consultation call and we can see if coaching may be a good fit for you.