To understand the perceptions of mobile eCommerce websites among users within the demographic selected, users aged 35-54, I will be conducting a short survey. This will allow me to confirm or refute assumptions made by myself and information I have collected during my literature review.
A survey will also give me a chance to recruit volunteers to take part in the user centered design aspects of this project and have an understanding of the devices they use and the experiences they have in using them.
In order to gain responses that can be easily collated and analysed I will be designing a survey that makes use of 5 point Likert scale questions, so that the user can easily give a response based upon their degree of agreement with predetermined statements.
What do I need to learn about users?
I compiled the following list of questions that I required responses for, so as to understand the conceptions users may have of mobile eCommerce sites:
- What specifications do users’ devices have? In particular, screen size and quality.
- How often do users browse and purchase from eCommerce websites using their device?
- Do they find it easy to use their mobile device for purchasing products via eCommerce websites?
- Have users been frustrated by mobile eCommerce sites in the past?
- Is it easy for users to find what they require on mobile eCommerce websites?
- Do longer loading times cause users to frequently leave mobile sites?
In order to ensure the responses to the survey are from the demographic required in this study I will be asking users to select their age at the start of the survey and if they are outwith the demographic required they will be asked no further questions.
The survey was created and distributed online, via Google Drive, on the 14th February 2014.