- Order of your story; most important information presented first followed by paragraphs arranged in descending order of importance.
- It is most important that people get the information rather than read our story.
- Goal: Get information quickly to the reader
- Most used form of modern day news writing.
- All written media uses this
- Lead: first sentence/ paragraph of a story.
- A simple, clear statement.
- What’s the angle? So what? Who cares?
- Straight news lead, inverted pyramid lead
- Most common style for news stories
- Finding the lead:
- Who, what, when, where, why, how
- Length: 25–30 words
- Pg. 114
- Immediate identification lead emphasizes the “who” of the information: only use if people recognize that person’s name.
- Delayed- Identification lead: “blind lead”; subject of the story has little name recognition.
- Lead describe subject
- 2nd paragraph : ID using name