Throw party. Drink alcohol. Save democracy
There are 84 days until Election Day and so many of you have asked me what you can do to increase voter turnout and keep the US from falling into a democratic hellmouth. I’m glad you’re asking, because I have a great answer:
You’re going to throw a friendraiser. It’s a cross between a party and a fundraiser, and it’s a chance to brush off those party-throwing skills you honed in college.
- Pick a date
- Invite your friends.
- Let your friends know it’s a fundraiser for Vote.org
- Get drunk with your friends
- Talk about why democracy is important
- Encourage everyone to donate. All donations are tax-deductible
- Sit back and revel in the knowledge that you have done more to increase turnout than 96% of Americans.
Here’s what Vote.org will do with the money you raise:
- A lovely person just gave us money to run a badass pilot. We will be sending text messages to 50,000 unregistered young voters (people under 35) who live in 8 swing states. We be letting them know that public record shows they’re not registered to vote, and encouraging them to register to vote right now.
- When this pilot goes well — and it will go well — we’re going to send texts messages to 1.2 million young voters in swing states.
- Then on Election Day we’ll send a final round of text messages to all the unregistered young voters who live in states that allow you to register to vote at the polls
TL;DR: Vote.org is about to run one of the biggest voter registration drives in the country. And you’ll be an essential part of it because you’ll have helped us fund this project.
So to summarize:
- Throw party
- Drink booze
- Raise some money
- Help save democracy.
Debra, on behalf of the Vote.org team
PS: this cat will DJ your party