Time Series Heat Map of 261,617 crimes in Chicago during 2018 — DeCypher DataLabs
· The map was developed using data published on the Chicago Data Portal
· The dataset was uploaded to an S3 bucket on Amazon Web Services.
· The dataset was imported into a Jupyter Notebook using SageMaker on AWS.
· The dataset was filtered between 01/01/2018 and 12/31/2018, and it contained 267,563 rows before removing nulls.
· After removing rows that contained null values, the dataset was reduced to 261,617 rows.
· The visualization was created using the FOLIUM Python Library which is built on LeafLet.js.
· Within this Heat Map analysis, the higher the frequency of occurrence of crime within an area per month, the higher the gradient, where the gradient parameters are defined according to the following scale: BLUE = 0.0–0.2, LIME = 0.2–0.4, ORANGE = 0.4–0.6, and RED = 0.6–1.0.
Originally published at https://www.decypherdatalabs.com on November 3, 2019.