How Helpful is an MBA to your career?
In the Corporate application environment:
- From a resume perspective they certainly open doors for you. When assessing ‘like for like’ candidates on paper you will take the guy/girl that has the respected MBA
- If this is the difference between getting a job at your dream company or not than don’t underestimate the value of the MBA — as much as they are bagged by people. They still have currency
Once your through the door:
- It could help when you’re up for promotion when there is nothing else dividing two candidates
- But REALLY — no one cares
- What matters is how you perform in the role. Become indispensable.
So to answer your question:
- At the beginning of your career it can help
- If it still helps later in your career it means that you’re not the outstanding candidate that you thought you were because they need to look at your qualifications to separate you from the other candidate
My overall thoughts on MBA’s:
Read this book to understand my general thoughts:
And to get your own education read:
Still want to do your MBA/already done it?
Well what’s done is done so run with it!
— — — — — — — — — — — — — —
I’m 30. I’ve lived in 9 Countries. Travelled to 50+. Raised money 2x for Tech Companies. I’ve worked for Deloitte. Been homeless. Run 20 marathons. Am a trained British Soldier.
Here are the: ‘Things I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger’: