Grant: Fight for the Future
The DeFi Education Fund is thrilled to support Fight for the Future (FFTF) with a $501,168 year-long grant to focus on DeFi advocacy and community mobilization.
FFTF, a non-profit advocacy organization, fights “for a future where technology is a force for liberation — not oppression.” During the community’s recent mobilization in response to the crypto provision in the bipartisan infrastructure bill, FFTF did just that, rallying the crypto ecosystem to make its voice heard in Washington.
FFTF’s work during the campaign speaks for itself. The team:
- Rapidly stood up dontkillcrypto.com;
- Facilitated 40,000 phone calls to senate offices;
- Activated the #dontkillcrypto trend on Twitter which led to 10,000 tweets directed at lawmakers and reached an estimated audience of more than 20,000,000 people;
- Generated massive press attention and articles in CNN, The Verge, CNBC, Washington Post, Politico, The Hill, Vox, The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, CoinDesk, TechCrunch, and Bloomberg, among others; and
- Crowdfunded a billboard to call out Senator Richard Shelby, the senator who ultimately blocked the amendment on the Senate floor.
This isn’t the first time FFTF has advocated for ideals central to the DeFi ecosystem: in late 2020, FFTF stood up stopfinancialsurveillance.org, which helped generate more than 3,600 comment letters in response to a proposed rulemaking that would have required cryptocurrency companies to collect sensitive information from individual crypto-wallet users.
The DeFi Education Fund is thrilled to support FFTF with a $501,168 grant, which will allow FFTF to supercharge its DeFi advocacy efforts.
“From the SOPA strike to the massive online uprising around net neutrality, we’ve harnessed the power of the Internet to give ordinary people a voice in Washington, D.C.,” says Sarah Roth-Gaudette, FFTF’s executive director. “Now we’re excited to use those same tactics to stave off misguided attacks on decentralized technologies that could create the foundation for a better Internet and a better future, where human rights and free expression are protected.”
With this grant, FFTF will work to forge a large, unified coalition with a common strategy and voice on DeFi issues, mobilize an aggressive advocacy campaign, and arm DeFi users with the best tools for rallying others and making their voices heard.