Precautions To Take After Tooth Removal
Tooth removal is one of the most common dental treatments performed across dental clinics in India. It is generally done when the tooth is decayed beyond repair. Once a tooth removal is done, it is important to closely follow the post removal instructions in order to reduce the problems that can occur after the treatment. It is very common to experience discomfort after tooth removal. As long as the discomfort reduces with each passing day, patient is on the right track to recovery. With these precautions in mind, patient will be just fine.
When a tooth is removed, a blood clot will form where initially the tooth used to be. After this happens, it is important to not disturb the clot. These precautions will ensure proper healing while keeping the blood clot in place.
- Relax after surgery- No strenuous activity.
- Apply pressure on Gauze pack — for 30 min.
- Remove gauze pack — after 30min of tooth removal, no need to change the pack.
- Do not Rinse or spit out- for 24 hours.
- Do not touch- the surgical site with either the finger or the tongue.
- Apply an ice pack- to reduce pain and swelling.
Do not apply anything hot from outside — hot fermentation can increase the swelling.
- Do not lie flat- This could prolong bleeding. Prop your head up.
- Brush teeth gently- Avoid brushing around the removal area at first.
- Do not use toothpaste or mouthwash for the next 24 hours, as it can dislodge the blood clot.
- Keep removal site clean- Rinse mouth gently after 24 hours and rinse four times with salt water after 24 hours.
- Do not squish vigorously
- Eat soft, cold, healthy foods and snacks- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Do not eat hot or spicy food- avoid for 1–2 days
- Don’t drink with a straw- This could disturb the blood clot.
- Don’t drink hot liquids- Hot liquids can increase swelling.
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol- for 3–4 days
- Take painkillers- as prescribed. No aspirin, as it can cause more bleeding.
- Follow the instructions given to you by your Dentist.
Talk to your Dentist if required :
For questions about a tooth removal procedure in Mumbai, you can contact Dr. Aslam Inamdar. Our dentists have years of experience and we make patients feel at home in our Dental clinic. We believe every patient has the right to quality dental care and help you preserve a healthy and bright smile!!!
Originally published at blog.dentalstudio.co on March 27, 2017.