What are Hard and Soft skills?
Hard skills are the abilities to get a specific job done while Soft skills are various personality traits.
People often ask me why do we need soft kills if the job is dependent on hard skills? I like to put it this way.
Hard skills will get you the job and soft skills will help you to sustain and grow in that job.
Before getting into any specifics, Let’s do an exercise? Name someone you admire and list the qualities you like about them.
If you look at the list closely you will realize most of the qualities you mentioned fall under the following categories.
🧠 Critical thinking
⏳ Time management
🎨 Creative abilities
😃 Positive attitude
👂 Deep listening
🧐 Emotional intelligence
What I am trying to say here is irrespective of the field you are working, You will need soft skills to Level up your game, Also as an individual soft skill will help you to be a better person.
5 steps to develop Soft skills?
- Assess yourself and list down the areas you feel you need to work on.
- Ask for Feedback from your colleagues and friends.
- Prioritize skills as per your goals
- Start working on it! Need help? Find a mentor or join an online course.
- Repeat the above steps.
5 steps to develop Hard skills?
- Stay updated about your industry trends.
- Understand close collaborating disciplines.
- Remember shortcuts (if you are using tools from Adobe suite)
- Use short hands and write optimized code (if you are a developer)
- Read your industry-specific books