So, many of you must have the question “what is software development” in your mind right now. Well, you are in the right place.
In this article, we’ll give you a brief overview of software development and some tips to build a successful software business. Follow our guide, and you’ll see things won’t be too tough.
What is software development?
In plain words, software development involves all the tasks that bring a software project from conception to production delivery.
IBM Research clarified this definition: “Software development refers to a set of computer science activities dedicated to the process of creating, designing, deploying and supporting software.”
These roles can overlap, and the dynamics between them can vary across development departments and communities. Software development is often conducted by software developers, software engineers, and programmers. There are three basic types of software:
- Application software: Help users perform specific tasks, for example, media players, security programs, data management software, etc.
- Programming software: Give programmers tools such as text editors, compliers, linkers, debuggers, and other tools to create codes.
- System software: Offer core functions like operating systems, disk management, utilities, etc.
Software development life cycle
Software development life cycle (SDLC) is a process model that comprises six different software development phases: (1) requirement analysis, (2) design, (3) implementation, (4) testing, (5) deployment, and (6) maintenance.
- Requirement analysis: Gather all the requirements about the software from stakeholders. What features should be included? How should it look like? How should it behave?
- Design: Choose the programming language and the database that best suits your project.
- Implementation: Code the software.
- Testing: Testers run test cases, find the bugs, and ask developers to fix them.
- Deployment: Once the code is approved, put it on live.
- Maintenance: Fix bugs and update the software to ensure it works well all the time.
Want to learn more about SDLC, read this: Software development life cycle (SDLC) — Guide for Business.
Software development process
You should understand each of them to see their differences and choose the right one for your business. Don’t jump immediately into coding without planning the process.
Many software development teams spend hours in front of whiteboards before starting to code. It’s the key to control the workload and timeline.
Follow these tips:
- Determine patterns at the beginning and write modular code to simplify the process.
- Break tasks into smaller ones and assign them to your members.
- Choose the right programming language and the proper database.
We hope this article has answered your question “what is software development” and will help you build a knowledge foundation on software development and how to run it effectively.
You also want to determine which process and method will bring your business the most success. If you’re putting a software team together to run a software development company, you want to make things easier for your developers.