Rituals of Kartika Purnima — 2017
Kartika Purnima is a renowned Hindu Festival which falls on the last of ‘Kartika Month’. It is observed on the full moon day and the fifteenth lunar day of ‘Shukla Paksha’. It is also famed as ‘Deva Diwali’ and ‘Tripuri Purnima’ and is the most God-fearing month for Hindus, Sikhs, and Jains. Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu are worshiped together in various temples. Devotees observe fast on this day and take a bathe in the holy rivers before sunrise to please gods. In ‘Pushkar’ (Rajasthan) a famous Fair (Mela) is organized to celebrate this holy fest.
Kartika Purnima Timings- :
Purnima Tithi Begins = 13:46 on 3/Nov/2017
Purnima Tithi Ends = 10:52 on 4/Nov/2017
Traditions and Rituals tied up with Kartika Purnima
- Hindus involve themselves in ‘Vastra Daan’ or ‘Gau Daan’ (Donation of Cows)
- Devotees bathe in the holy river early morning and perform various Puja ceremonies to please Lord Sun which is called- Kartika Snana.
- People participate and indulge themselves in ‘Bhandara’ and ‘Anna Daan’ ritual to gain immovable property and prosperity throughout the year.
- Sage and Savants stay in caves to focus on mediations till Kartika Purnima(full moon day) from Ekadashi.
- Pupils light diyas and earthen lamps to celebrate the victory of Lord Vishnu as it is a belief that he came back to his abode after finishing his exile from Bali.
- Devotees also take a ritual dip, before sunrise in sacred rivers to obtain ‘Sidhi’ and overall happiness and health.
- Peeps visit Melas on this auspicious day which is held in the prestige of Lord Brahma nearby his temple.
- This is the most fortunate time to offer Food to the Deities and milk to the idols of Lord ‘Shiva’ and ‘Shivlinga’ at the temples.
- People should avoid any type of violence and brutality which includes- hair-cutting, tree-cutting, shaving, plucking of fruits, flowers, the slaughter of animals and even sexual crimes and harassment.
- One should gift gold and silver jewelry and items to obtain financial stability and materialistic development
Must Know: Kartika Purnima Vrat Katha
Originally published at rgyan.com on October 26, 2017.