Callisto Network report for 2018.
Callisto Network was first announced on September 25, 2017 in the Ethereum Commonwealth development report. Then, on January 16, 2018 the launch of Callisto Network airdrop was officially announced. On April 15, 2018 Callisto mainnet was succesfully launched.
This repo preserves the history of Callisto development, launch, pre-launch and post-launch issues and the initial roadmap.
The main goals of Callisto Network were stated as:
- Free-of-charge security auditing of smart-contracts.
- Cold staking implementation.
- Crosschain interoperability research.
This year we have successfully achieved 2 main goals.
- Free-of-charge security auditing department of Solidity (Ethereum) smart-contracts is founded and already functioning.
- Cold Staking implementation is finished and Cold Staking is enabled at Callisto mainnet with planned hardfork #1.
As per Github Roadmap we achieved most of the described goals and implementation steps.
- Callisto Core implementation was successfully finished.
- Whitepaper is written and released (1.4 version).
- 3 testnets developed during the launch. CLO testnet is supported in Callisto Wallet and ClassicEtherWallet.
- Basic blockchain explorers are developed. Advanced blockchain explorer is in development stage.
- Callisto is traded on exchanges and more exchange listings are coming.
- Open source snapshot script is developed.
- Mainnet is succesfully launched.
- Auditing Department (Solidity) is founded.
- Cold Staking smart-contract v1 is developed, audited and enabled at Callisto mainnet.
- On-chain registry of official media resources is deployed.
- Planned Hardfork #1 is performed succesfully. There were no issues encountered during the hardfork.
- Cold Staking UI is developed.
Callisto Network is in active development, thus roadmap and other documents are updating frequently and may change.
Our current roadmap can be found here.
Callisto Network development progress
Callisto adheres to a policy of financial transparency and keeps the history of its financial operations in an open document. Financial operations are verifiable by transaction hashes in Callisto blockchain.
Unfortunately our financial report is undergoing GDPR-related revision. We will publish the updated version as soon as it is completed.
Then it was decided to create a separate team to focus on Callisto development, while EthereumCommonwealth continues to develop Ethereum-related projects (including CLO). Carlos Sampol joined the Callisto team at this stage. After the launch, other team members were hired. The composition of the team has changed several times during the development of the project.
At some point, it turns out to be necessary to create a legal entity for Callisto to proceed with exchange listings and give Callisto Network legal power. Since it was impossible to register a company for an anonymous person, Dexaran resigned from the CEO role and Yohan is now considered the CEO of Callisto. Yohan Graterol and Carlos Sampol established a Callisto Network Foundation which is intended to be a legal entity of Callisto Network and resolve legal/business issues.
The team has grown over the year and is now almost formed, but we plan to expand the team in 2019. For example we will be hiring research report writer/technical article writer and EOS security auditors.
Infrastructure was also created from scratch.
We can highlight the following:
- More than 30 mining pools of Callisto came to existence. Max CLO hashrate was 5 TH/s. Current CLO hashrate is 1,2 TH/s.
- 3 block explorers are launched.
- Coinomi, Trust Wallet, Guarda, ClassicEtherWallet, wallet.callisto.network, MyCrypto and CLI wallets (Windows/ Linux/ OSX) support Callisto Network.
- Callisto is listed on 4 exchanges, and even more exchanges are expected, as Callisto now has a legal entity.
- Network stats monitoring and Cold Staking UI services came to existence.
- Callisto Network is officially supported by Parity.tech
- Testnet is operating properly.
Security Auditing Departments
Security Auditing Department of Solidity is formed and operating within the Callisto Team. Since the system has not yet been tested by time, the security auditing department is subject to regular changes. However, our current auditing system is operating and we are ready to start the formation of EOS security department.
Security Auditing Department of Callisto (Solidity) performed more than 100 successful security audits and 21 are currently in queue.
Goals for next year
- Governance system. It was planned to implement decentralized vote-based governance system which allows community to vote for/against funding of Treasury proposals. Completely decentralized system turns out to be impossible as legal entity was required for the system to enter the market. Therefore, we plan to develop and implement a decentralized governance system which will only distribute a certain percentage of Treasury funding.
- Monetary policy update. It is planned to research and implement an update for the current Callisto monetary policy.
- Constantinople updates. Following Ethereum updates, it is planned to test and implement constantinople upgrade at Callisto network.
- The Callisto team struggled with some coordination issues that need to be resolved before the team is expanded. As a preparation for the decentralized governance system, we need to define proposal submission process for CLO community members/Cold Stakers. I’m in favor of EIP-based proposal submission.
- Cold Staking upgrade. We planned to upgrade the Cold Staking contract to make staking convenient and implement some additional functionality which was postponed at the first stage.
- WASM Implementation. It is planned to research WASM implementation for Callisto and launch a testnet with WASM smart-contracts enabled.
- Implementation of Treasury/Staking fee for GAS rewards. It is planned to withdraw 10% Treasury fee and 20% Cold Staking fee not only from block rewards, but also from GAS fees.
- Decenralized Storage research. IPFS-based storage implementation is still in research stage. As EOS did not achieved any progress in this area, we are now looking over TELOS storage system implementation.