This article was originally published on Linkedin at this link as a post, and received a good response, like over 2,000 views , so I am republishing here to just get the word out about what is most important to know about Google Analytics.
- Use the Google Analytics Mobile App, it works great and gives you answers fast. A lot of people are amazed that it works that well or exists at all.|
- Year over Year is the best comparison. When I check to see if there is an anomaly, the best data comparison is last year’s data on the same dates.
- Unique Visitors is the real number. Some people get confused with page views and visits, but “unique” means real people.
- Dashboards. Best thing you can do is develop a dashboard! Believe it or not Google has a product called Data Studio that can do about 90% of what you need to dashboard. Check it out!
- Data Combos. The best reports come from mixing data from multiple sources giving you interesting and unexpected results. That’s why you should get used to using Excel and pivot tables or SQL to produce a final report.
- In almost all Google Analytics reports today there is a dropdown that allows you to apply data from another area to get better results.
- Always attach the Google Search Console, so you can see clicks on Google Search links in GA.
- Breath deeply and just understand that there are sometimes multiple ways to get the data you need. Start with a question you need to answer.
- You don’t have to be an expert. I am constantly amazed how marketing execs and business execs need some tech guy to put a report together. Honestly, you could look in the system yourself if you wanted!
Ok, so, why is Google Analytics (GA) such an important part of web marketing today and a critical tool in the arsenals for #startups and #entrepreneurs? It’s all about the data, and that data can make or break your business.
For instance, do you know who your actual visitors are? Where are they from? What is their ages? How do they find their way to your site? What does the conversion funnel look like? What goals are people accomplishing on your website? What links are getting seen on Google and which URLS on Google are getting clicked? What is Average Page Rank and why is that important? Ok, so you need to start getting yourself educated on GA, because to hire an expert costs money and don’t turn to Fiverr for this task, because you should get to know it yourself before giving this to a Fiverr person!
If you are interested in having me, Dan Gudema, do a quick analysis of your GA and give you some feedback and figure out if there is anything I can do to help you out, I am willing to do that work for free! So, email me at email@example.com or contact me via this website and let’s find out what is happening in your GA! If you want to visit my original blog at strategicpoints.com, you can visit it here: https://www.strategicpoints.com/2018/09/03/10-top-things-to-know-about-google-analytics-for-the-non-analytic-pro/
For those of you who live and work in South Florida, my event company StartupPOP is running on SEPTEMBER 11th, 2018 at 6:00 pitch our 28th #Tech #Startup #Pitch #Event WITH NETWORKING in Boca Raton, Fl at Cendyn Spaces. It’s $15 in advance and $25 at the door. We already have 4 of the 5 companies ready to pitch. If you are in South Florida and want to pitch contact me.