Technologies Reshaping The Software Development Life Cycle In 2017 & Beyond
Over the last decade, there has been a grand explosion of software & technology leading to a major transformation in the entire industry. Quite literally, it has changed the way we live, we work, interact- in fact, it’s incredibly tough to find something that hasn’t changed due to digital transformation. The widespread adoption has had major political, social and economic impacts, giving rise of eCommerce, the introduction of sharing economy and transformation of industries like music, media, and film. But have you ever wondered what goes behind the scenes? Software doesn’t appear magically on the market, the journey from idea to end result incorporates a lot like coding, building, testing, etc which many times gets overlooked. However, those activities are as important as anything else required in software development project.
Sometimes I really wonder that why software development procedures aren’t discussed anymore? The field is pretty interesting becoming quite lucrative career path for several aspiring software programmers.
2017 And Other Upcoming Years Will Bring A Vibe Of Endless Possibilities Such As:
- IT solutions will now be broken into seven main categories to represent major phases of development lifecycle plan (Plan, Track, Code, Build, Test, Deploy, and Monitor), each comprising of three subcategories of technologies assisting with that particular phase of software development.
- Some of the most popular categories include Safe (Scaled Agile Framework) (77 solutions), Collaboration (114 solutions), User Experience (62 solutions) and BI (53 solutions)
- The least crowded ones include Unit Testing (15 solutions), Exploratory Testing (13 solutions) and Logging Error Traces (13 solutions)
Biggest Software Development Trends That Will Dominate In Future
#1 Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence has captured our attention for the long run. According to several analysts, a total of around 5.5 million new things got connected every single day in 2016. Although, many software development company have come across augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) technology in 2016 through some famous game apps like Pokémon Go but things will be really taking off in the upcoming years.
Robots are doing great work in factories, driverless cars have become a reality, Wi-Fi-enabled Barbie uses speech-recognition to talk to children, basically, each and every industry is using AI to improve their product and sales. It may quite interest you to know that AI will soon be able to detect human emotion pretty easily. With increasingly accurate cameras, voice and facial recognition, computers will soon incorporate the ability to understand speech. Currently, researchers are working on how this new knowledge can be used in education, to treat depression, to accurately predict medical diagnoses, and to improve customer service and shopping online.
#2 Big Data
Big Data has been in talks for a couple of years or so, currently, it has become a buzzword in the entire software industry. This ultimately resulted in a notable increase in data investigation, data gathering, and data sharing. According to a recent study, the number of software developers has almost doubled over the last few years. Now Big Data analytics helps organizations harness their data and use it to identify new opportunities which lead to smarter business moves, more efficient operations, higher profits, and happier customers. Further speaking, it allows one to scan and analyze newspaper reports or social media as well as personalize the content and look and feel of your website in real time. This automatically satisfies each consumer entering your website, depending on their sex, preference, nationality or how they ended up on your site. The technology has pushed us to the next level by improving the overall quality of life and offering enormous opportunities.
The year 2017 will bring significant progress towards simplification; how data is stored, analyzed and processed?
#3 5 G
“Solar-powered drones” are pretty much in talks these days. In fact, Mark Zuckerberg expects that this technology will be well equipped with a laser just to provide internet access that would be in charge of negotiation with operators about ways to deploy them. In addition to this, a newly-launched engineering-focused initiative from Facebook designed to bring together operators, infrastructure providers, system integrators, and other tech companies to develop new approaches to infrastructure.
#4 Virtual Reality
VR is promoted as “the next big thing” and the market will be worth $30 billion by 2020. The technology will play an important role in the new era of learning and has potential to get users to engage more closely with content and services. It’s not just about gaming, it’s more than that. It’s about putting people in the moment by offering them the opportunity to experience a scene first hand even though they aren’t really present there.
Right from home to car, office, smartphones will become people’s connection to everything. Players like Ubuntu offered outstanding IoT products which compelled others to work towards that direction. Other than IoT, software development companies are even considering the cloud-based technology as it cuts out the high cost of hardware, greater security, as well as teams, can access, edit, share documents anytime and from anywhere.
It’s Time To Build The Bright Future Using The Right SDLC Tools
- Window Shopping- We all like to shop from time to time, just looking around without the intention of actually taking. Similarly, window shopping is required in software development lifecycle. So in case you find yourself in the middle of a wide range of SDLC tools do not get baffled and buy on the random basis. Take some time and try becoming familiar with each tool, its category, and subcategories. Check out a few sites like G2 Crowd, TrustRadius, and Gartner.
- Process & stack development- building your own software development process is not easy at all. Now there are a lot of moving pieces that go into getting everything right during the software development lifecycle. Hence, reviewing all of the categories in the landscape and understanding each one of them can provide a great help.
- Solution Evaluation- While evaluating the tools, it is extremely important to consider how the different solutions work with or integrate with each other just to make back-end as seamless as possible for the front-end users.