From Web Developer to App Developer
No time to master both native iOS and Android
Because I wanted to build the game in my spare time (next to my full-time job) I decided to search for an existing game engine to get me up to speed quickly so I could build my game in a couple of months on both mobile platforms.
My criteria for the ideal game engine were:
- It must be free to use, preferably open source;
- It must be able to build for both iOS and Android;
- It must perform fast. As close to native performance as could be;
- It must be documented well and have a large user base.
The winner emerged
- Native performance on iOS and Android (using a technique similar to CocoonJS);
- Free to use. Even better: DevKit is open source!
- Well documented and an active (but not large) community.
And… is my game any good?
Ring Diver for iOS: