We’ve all heard the phrase “highly-scalable” when it comes to web apps. More and more apps are running in the cloud, and as result scalability is becoming a crucial part of delivering a great experience to your customers, no matter how many there are.
But, let's know what is scalable apps before moving to Azure Part.
A scalable web app is one that is able to smoothly handle an ever-increasing user base (or sudden increase in traffic, without hiccups or performance issues. This growth does not require huge changes to the code or server architecture.
Adding instances of your server is the way to go, but your server must support running multiple instances to begin with. This involves two important design decisions:
- Stateless Server Technology
A “stateless” server is one that is not dependent on any data being stored in memory or even the file system. The best example of this is user login sessions. If a user logs into a server, the server should store a session token in the database and not in memory.
- Highly Partitioned Databases
The problem with using a traditional, locally hosted database for a rapidly growing app is that the database can only grow so far. If the app is heavy on user-uploaded content, this is particularly troublesome.
- Improve the app service plan — On your Azure dashboard, you can simply scale up the app service plan to improve its scalability.
Benefit on Scalable apps :
- No Downtime — Another benefit of using either an Azure Web App or an Azure Cloud Service is that updates to your app can be made without any server downtime whatsoever. A “staging” and a “production” slot can be designated. The updated code can be applied to the staging slot and, once you are satisfied that the update is stable
In this Series, There will be 5 more blogs coming soon !!
- How to make account of MS Azure?
- How to deploy a website on MS Azure?
- How to scale up or scale down app service in MS Azure?
- How to add Custom Domain to the web app in MS Azure?
- How to build Scalable apps with MS Azure.
Happy Reading !!