Inspired by Einstein’s quote:
“If I had an hour to save the world,
I’d spend the first 50 minutes understanding the problem,”
Team DIY began ideation by reviewing our problem statement and listing the most significant insights discovered thus far.
Not only did this get our group thinking about the problem space, but it also helped ensure all team members were caught up and on the same page.
We then completed an anthropomorphic activity to encourage creative and empathic thinking. Each team member was given an inanimate object, and asked to imagine it as a person. We drew pictures of what we imagined they might look like, named them, and described several characteristics of their imagined personalities.
We then returned to our opportunity statement to perform an opportunity redefining exercise. We began by selecting a few of the most compelling or important terms from our opportunity statement:
How can we improve the learning of hands-on skills?
We chose the words improve, learning, hands-on, and skills, and drew a table with one word at the top of each column. We worked as a team to think of alternate words for each selected term, wrote them all on post-it notes, and took turns drafting alternate versions of our opportunity statement in a style similar to “Mad Libs.”
Some alternate versions we came up with include:
1. How can we inspire fun (for) interactive techniques?
2. How can we analyze visual cues of (the) physical expert?
3. How can we better educate (about) physical technique?
4. How can we build instruction (for) visual talent?
We then wrote each iteration on a separate sheet of paper, and spent four minutes individually ideating on each prompt, passing the papers around clockwise until every team member had ideated on every prompt.
This was a favorite activity for all of us, because the unique words prompted a different way of thinking about the problem, and inspired unique ideas. For instance, the prompt including terms like analyze and visual cues inspired more technical ideas, while the prompt including inspire and fun resulted in social ideas.
After completing a few more activities, like describing the worst possible ideas we could think of, and individual ideation inspired by random objects or words on crumpled up pieces of paper in a baseball cap, we converged our ideas and began combining and refining.
We uncovered a few basic themes, and grouped our ideas into four main buckets: interaction, social, gamification, and tech. We created a post-it note version of everything we had thought of thus far, and categorized all of our ideas on the whiteboard.
At the end of our session, we had decided on our four best ideas to present to the class:
1. Human-to-Human Skillshare
2. Skill-Building Video Game
3. Augmented Reality Tutorial
4. The Sphere — A 3d Video Experience
We look forward to receiving feedback during class on Monday for further refinement!