Join the Dorm Room Fund student investment team
Hi there, we’re the Dorm Room Fund team.
Dorm Room Fund is a venture capital fund designed 100% for student founders and 100% led by student partners.
We’ve been around for four years and we’ve invested in 125+ student-founded startups from schools across the US and Canada. You may have heard of some of these startups, many of them have gone on to join Y Combinator and receive follow-on funding from VC firms like a16z, First Round, Google Ventures, Sequoia, and USV.
There are 43 of us on the team this year and we run the entire fund and organization. Here’s what that looks like on a day-to-day basis:
- We meet with student founders to discuss their startups. Sometimes these student founders are at our school, and sometimes we travel to events to meet them.
- We research markets and technologies to be able to evaluate the companies we see diligently.
- We hold weekly investment meetings where we listen to pitches, engage in discussion, and make investment decisions.
- We fund companies! We give every company we fund a check for $20,000 and access to our community and portfolio resources.
- We meet with our portfolio founders regularly to understand their key priorities. We evaluate how we can be most helpful to them and we connect them to the people and resources that impact their business.
- We work on building Dorm Room Fund as a startup. We run the daily operations, we build our brand, our reach, and our impact, and we recruit, select, and develop the members of our team.
We’re looking for about 20 new partners to join the Dorm Room Fund teams in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and the Bay Area.
In particular we’re looking for:
- Demonstrated interested in helping student founders. You’re an active member of an entrepreneurship or startup at your school and engaged with the startup community at your university or beyond.
- Passion for entrepreneurship and curiosity about new technology. You have an understanding of what’s happening in tech and VC, you love learning about new technology, you have some experience working with startups or in venture.
- A point of view. You’re always looking for themes, analyzing trends, and thinking critically about the future. You enjoy sparking discussion and sharing your viewpoints.
- Initiative. You have ideas for how you’re going to improve Dorm Room Fund and student entrepreneurship in your community and are excited to put them in action. You’re execution oriented and pumped to build a community with a team.
Our partners spend about 10 hours a week running Dorm Room Fund. It’s a serious commitment, but it’s also a ton of fun and a world-class learning experience. As a member of Dorm Room Fund, you’ll graduate with hands on venture experience, cross-industry startup knowledge, and most importantly be part of a national community of talented entrepreneurs and investors. Our alumni have gone on to do awesome things like building their own startups, leading teams at big tech companies, and starting their own investment funds.
We welcome students of all backgrounds to apply. You could be a freshman majoring in music or a PhD studying math. As long as you’re a full-time student with more than a year of school remaining, you’re invited to apply to join the Dorm Room Fund team.
Apply here. Applications open on November 15th and close on Sunday, December 11th at 11:59pm EST. Applications are rolling, which means the sooner you apply, the sooner you’ll hear back.
Questions? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below. We’ll continue to update this post with FAQs.
Looking forward to seeing your application!
The Dorm Room Fund Team
I’m interested in DRF but I don’t go to school in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, or the Bay Area. How can I get involved?
We’d love to learn more about the entrepreneurship ecosystem at your school. Send us an e-mail at email@example.com and tell us why DRF should be at your school.