Hello BC Faculty!
It was great seeing all of you at Faculty Development Days earlier this month. Thanks to all of you who attended the workshops I offered. I’ll be offering the Digital Storytelling workshop again. See the upcoming workshops page on MyBrevard or scroll down for the details.
Today is Martin Luther King Day. As I put the finishing touches on this month’s newsletter, I can’t help but reflect on Dr. King’s legacy. Unfortunately, I can’t reflect by watching his most famous speech on YouTube, Vimeo, or most other video services I frequent. This is because the King estate has famously fought to protect its copyright claim of that speech. As a result, anyone who wishes to watch or broadcast the speech must negotiate fees for use with the King estate. It is an interesting case study for anyone who is fascinated by copyright law. Fortunately for all of us here at Brevard College, Jones Library has us covered. The Library has subscribed to the streaming video service Kanopy, which has the speech available for you and your students to watch! Kanopy has negotiated the licensing fees so that all of their subscribers can view this historical speech and reflect on the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King. A big shout out to the Library for making this available!
Here are some other new resources for you to consider:
- Me! — That’s right, if you have questions about any of the EdTech you use or want to use, let me know. I’m easy to get a hold of. You can reach me by email (email@example.com), telephone (ext. 8225), Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, or you can always just stop by my cube in the basement of Jones Library.
- Doug’s Digital Media Toolbox — Looking to add more digital media to your instruction? Check out the Digital Media Toolbox before you do.
- Visualize the Public Domain — The New York Public Library just released a ton of new images on their website that are in the public domain and therefore free to use! I especially love the site I linked to that provides a fun way to visualize and interact with the images.
Upcoming Workshops (all will held in the Library Lab in the Basement of Jones Library)
- Digital Storytelling (Encore Workshop) — 1/26, 12:30 PM
- Google Drive — 2/2/2016, 12:30 PM
- Google Docs — 2/12/2016, 9:00 AM
- Google Slides — 2/16/2016, 12:30 PM
- Google Sites — 2/26/2016, 9:00 AM
All the best,
Originally published at my.brevard.edu.