Consume your Way to Fight Inflammation
Our body is devised with an amazingly astonishing mechanism: when an alien object tries to enter your body, it works to shield itself from the foreign element.
The immune system of our body is designed in such a way that, when it fights off invaders like plant pollens or chemical elements of a microbe, the body reacts to the process in multiple ways. One of the reactions is inflammation.
Inflammation is the defense process of our immune system in which a part of the body becomes red and begins to swell. This is a perfectly natural reaction to an infection or an injury, as your blood cells rush to the area to assist in healing. However, if the inflammation persists chronically, the repercussions can turn life threatening.
Sometimes inflammation occurs without an infection or a bruise caused by external factors, and that is when you need to start paying attention. Inflammation can be a gateway to a number of fatal illnesses like cancer, heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, depression, and even Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases.
Remedies to combat inflammation lie in our kitchens. Many experimental studies have concluded that consuming right nutrients can actually influence the onset, or stymie the occurrence, of inflammation in the human body.
Here are some of the most dangerous foods to consume for their role in causing inflammation:
- Overconsumption of refined carbohydrates like white bread, pastries, and white rice to name a few examples. If the bread is soft and easily compressed most likely it’s going to quickly turn into sugar in one’s body.
- Fried foods and other pre-prepared packaged junk foods such chips that are excessively consumed can speed up the occurrence of inflammation.
- Sugar-laden and sweetened beverages, drinks, sodas, and over consumption of alcohol. The liquid consumption of sugar causes other health hazards too, besides inflammation and fuels the metabolic syndrome affecting many today.
- Processed meat like hot dogs, sausages, salami, bacon, luncheon meats.
- Corn fed red meat like steaks, burgers, and other “meat pie” dishes.
- Spreads of animal fat origin like margarine, lard, and shortening.
It is not a revelation that most of the food items mentioned above are associated with diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and obesity since inflammation is an underlying cause of each of these diseases.
What must be consumed to keep inflammation at bay?
Take a look at some of the best fresh foods, preferably organic, you can consume to reduce inflammation:
- Fibrous green leafy and cruciferous vegetables like spinach, collards, lettuce, swiss chards, kale, broccoli trying to go for various colors of the rainbow
- Tomatoes, which contain anti-inflammatory compounds such as lycopene.
- Almonds, walnuts, and cashews
- Fruits, including citruses, like oranges, cherries, strawberries, and other berries
- Fatty fish like sardines packed in water or olive oil, mackerel, wild salmon and, herring, and black cod. If eating these fish is not possible than take a high quality fish oil supplement
- Lets not forget about the mushrooms. If available in your area maitake, shiitake, enokitake, and oyster mushrooms provide powerful health benefits.
- Beverages like green or white tea, matcha, and coffee have anti-inflammatory benefits too, but mind the additives, which can negate the benefits.
The Mediterranean diet, which is composed primarily of plant, healthy fat and protein consumption, is said to be an ideal and healthy dietary lifestyle if one wishes to lean towards anti-inflammatory eating.
Originally published at drgregoryburzynski.net.