This is a brief list of some of the “don’t ever do this” advice I’ve received from various mentors over the years. Feel free to add yours to this list.
- Fluff your resume.
- Have a portfolio that shows only finished work.
- Ignore LinkedIn, or worse, treat it like Facebook.
- Refuse to practice for interviews.
- Treat UI and UX as interchangeable terms.
- Disrespect other disciplines.
- Be deathly afraid of failure.
- Have no opinions. About anything.
- Emotionally over-invest in your work.
- Care too much about what people think of you.
- Don’t challenge conventions. Especially yours.
- Don’t read. Anything.
- Forget how to use pen(cil) and paper.
- Don’t be curious. About anything.
- Stop learning.
- Don’t dream about the future.
- Gloss over details.
Originally published at www.linkedin.com on February 13, 2015.