Best Programming Editor for 2016
This is a follow up to my earlier article 10 Best Programming Editors for Aug 29, 2015.
With the release of Vim 8 came many enhancements, one of them being the improved performance. Fixing performance on Windows was key to me giving Vim another shot. I’m happy to report that not only is the performance much better but so is the integration with the operating system. The Vim GUI window no longer acts weird and can be resized like any other window. Additionally, with a stable repository of Vim packages: Vim Awesome, it is now easier to extend the editor’s functionality.
- Familiar shortcuts
- Customizable — can store configurations in git
- Aesthetics, especially with vim-airline
- Always something new to learn. (See “Vim Master” app.)
- Customization is hard to get just right
- Copy and paste between editor and OS sometimes wonky