In this blog post and subsequent blogs, we will understand more about DC/OS, it’s benefits. We will also take a look at Google Cloud Platform, Deploy DC/OS on Google Cloud Platform and finally run through some interesting tutorials on DC/OS running on Cloud.
WHAT IS DC/OS?
DC/OS (DataCenter Operating System) is opensource distributed operating system. Unlike Virtualization technologies like vSphere, Hyper-V, KVM, Xen etc… DC/OS on the other hand aggregates pool of Datacenter resources including Compute/Network/Storage and make them available programatically to applications on-demand (enabling Infrastructure as a code). These pool of aggregated Datacenter resources are managed as a single large entity thereby reducing the overall Datacenter management overhead.
Just like any other operating system, DC/OS relies on a Kernel, this kernel is based on popular opensource Apache Mesos. Unlike traditional OS Kernels, Mesos is a distributed-systems kernel hence able to manage and schedule resources from different systems. These systems which are part of DC/OS could be bare-metal (physical servers), Virtual Machines or cloud instances. This distrubuted-systems kernel capability of Mesos abstracts CPU, Memory, Storage and other resources from underlying systems thereby enabling DC/OS to manage pool of servers/resources as single large entity.
Benefits of Mesos:
- Resource abstraction and hence ease of resource management.
- Enabling elastic distributed system which is fault-tolerant.
- Provide’s applications with API’s for unified resource management and scheduling across datacenters and clouds.
- Offers Linearly Scalable System for applications.
- Eliminates Horizontal resource boundaries of single system for applications.
- Cloud and Platform agnostic.
- Opensource, Enterprise supported version via Mesosphere.
- Distributed and Highly Scalable Operating System.
- Enables Hybrid and Burstable Infrastructure by spanning the resources across on-premise DC and Cloud.
- Single pane of glass management for the Distributed infrastructure.
- Support for Container applications, Distributed services, Legacy applications on same infrastructure there by reducing the overall TCO.
- Enable resource management and Dynamic Service discovery.
- Can host web scale next gen container based applications in conjunction with Data intensive analytic Jobs, batch workloads and legacy applications on same infrastructure.
- powerful Service Catalog enables developers to get started in no time.
- Fully supported for DevOps model and CI/CD pipelines.
- Makes Elastic Hybrid cloud architectures a reality.
- powerful Container Orchestration platform with Kubernetes support via Service Catalog.
HOW IS DC/OS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER CONTAINER ORCHESTRATION PLATFORMS?
Unlike other CaaS Platforms such as Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Openshift, etc… DC/OS extends beyond just Container Orchestration Platform by supporting coexistence of container, Databases, Data analytics(Spark, Hadoop), Batch processing and legacy applications on same infrastructure. In addition DC/OS also provides rich service catalog and fully supported CI/CD pipelines.
ABOUT GOOGLE CLOUD PLATFORM:
GCP provides secured cloud services on Robust Google’s infrastructure.
GCP eliminates the overhead of managing infrastructure by offering Various cloud services. The resources can be consumed on-demand with Pay-per-Use model.
Accessible via Web console, programatically via API’s and with popular SDK’s, GCP cloud services can be leveraged in few seconds.
Services include but not limited to Compute, Network, Storage, Databases, User management, Logging, Monitoring, Networking, BigData, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Internet of Things etc…
Throughout this Blog series we will be exploring some of the Google Cloud Platform services for deploying DC/OS.