Your Beliefs Create Your Reality. Part 4
There is something special at the end of this one.
For those who are not among my handful of followers, I am the author of the book Ms. Creant: The Wrong Doers! pictured above. At the beginning of 2017, I started this new blog series which explores how all of us are, at the very least, influenced by what we believe to be true or in the worst cases, completely handicapped by those beliefs. The message of this new awareness campaign is pretty simple:
We must question our beliefs or we fall victim to them.
This special segment is not about society or humanity as the others are. This one is about me. Unless you have read my book, you probably do not know much about me so I will give you some insights.
In 2007 I was injured in a workplace accident which, according to the various medical experts who evaluated me, has left me with a significant permanent physical impairment. Their collective prognoses did not paint a pretty picture of my future:
- Daily pain worsening as years pass requiring ongoing ever-increasing prescription drug intake.
- Limited ADL’s (activities of daily living) — worsening over time.
- Eventual loss of mobility leading to other associated health problems.
There were more but you get the idea. I was faced at the time with what appeared to be only two choices:
ACCEPT or REJECT.
It appeared I would either have to BELIEVE and submit to THEIR FUTURE for me, or I could deny their findings and fight. I was never one to place any faith in authority figures and throughout much of my life I had always rebelled against them. For years I chose DENIAL and that did not work out so well as I endlessly suffered with re-injuries. These long recovery periods are where I began to write what I thought would be a short memoir to leave to my young nephews who were already repeating the mistakes of my younger days. The more stories I wrote, the more obvious my own repetitive behaviors became to me. I was creeping up to the edge of awareness or an awakening without knowing it. I would then spend a year researching a great many academic disciplines as I sought to unravel the mysteries of human behavior. When I wrote The End for the first time years later, I was already AWARE I had always had a third option where my CHOICES were concerned. I could have chosen to LEARN MORE. Since that time, every decision in my life has had three ways it could go:
ACCEPT, REJECT or RESEARCH.
Had I BELIEVED the medical experts, by now I would probably have:
- become a prescription drug addict.
- significant organ damage resulting from the continual drug use.
- liver, kidney and heart problems which would of course be treated with still more prescriptions.
- an inability to feel when I am at the threshold of overexertion so recurring injuries would have been far more frequent; thereby furthering my level of disability.
- a brain chemistry so impaired that writing anything remotely cogent would be unlikely.
Fortunately in my youth, I somehow absorbed the importance of possessing the ability to learn; courtesy of the Canadian public education system.
Knowing how to learn is everything!
This brings us back to the present and closer to the special part I promised.
When I began my journey as an author, there were a huge number of things I could have BELIEVED which could have made me quit:
- “Major publishers will not accept queries from first-time authors without agents.” This turned out to be true so I pitched the smaller ones.
- “Publishers will not accept queries from non-fiction self-help authors lacking a PHD.” This turned out to be true but I had a problem with the idea that only PHD’s are capable of rational thought or original ideas. It is elitist and it does not explain why people with advanced degrees have always sought me out when they needed a new perspective — so I pressed on.
- “Agents will not take on new writers who do not have a substantial writing portfolio and author platform.” This turned out to be true so I began building one.
- Publicists: “We are looking for a PHD as well, unless you are an entertainer.” I was unsure how those two equated so I moved on.
- I amassed a large collection of rejection letters from both agents and publishers which led to the idea of self-publishing as an indie-author.
- “Indie-authors need to build a massive following over a multitude of social media platforms for their book to even be noticed.” This may be true but I only march to the beat of my own drum and I have little desire to be another dancing monkey.
- “There is no point in sending out press releases if you are an unknown author.” I sent them anyway.
- “The mainstream media will ignore indie-authors.” There was evidence to support this belief. Several major book critics and newspapers do not allow submissions of self-published titles. However . . .
Despite the BELIEFS of all the industry experts, this indie-author who apparently did almost everything wrong, will be the featured guest on Eldon Taylor’s nationally syndicated Provocative Enlightenment radio program on Thursday, May 4, 2017, at 1:00 P.M. Pacific time.
Not being quick to BELIEVE has created my new REALITY.
I am really excited to get to know Dr. Eldon Taylor as I have been reading his weekly blog for some time now. I thoroughly enjoy both his writing and his perspectives — especially the ones where we share similar BELIEFS.
There is another upside to discovering his show. I had BELIEVED freedom of speech no longer existed in main-stream media. The fact his show even exists gives me renewed hope for North America.
It is interesting that I would be selected to be his guest on Star Wars Day. I will try not to read too much into this.
To see his upcoming guests click here!
Former criminalist, Eldon Taylor, believes that true enlightenment can only come when you learn to take charge of your own thoughts. Can you state that your beliefs truly are your own and not just adopted from ideas that are politically correct and mass approved? According to Eldon Taylor, free thinking is difficult for many reasons, ranging from the psychology of your being to the mass attempts to mold your thinking for the convenience of others! Join Eldon Taylor on Provocative Enlightenment, where nothing is too sacred to be discussed and everything is aimed at dissecting what it means to be spiritually aware in the 21st century. Provocative Enlightenment is for those of you interested in pushing the boundaries, creating waves, and breaking free!
Originally published at eabarker.wordpress.com.