Best VR Headset for the Metaverse ( Cheap & sleek ones )
In this article lets compare the best VR headsets in the market. Those that are affordable and makes the Metaverse experience incredible.
Meta Quest 2
$399 ( get it HERE )
Oculus is the pioneer in VR headsets, even before the Metaverse existed. So they have more expertise than others in this vertical. With the backing of Meta, we can expect good support and updates.
Resolution: 3664 x 1920 | Refresh rate: up to 120 Hz
Processing power: Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 SoC + 64GB RAM
Display: LCD with 100 degrees field of view
- Experience: Crisp and clear picture quality with room scale virtual reality. Smooth rendering with built in speakers ( with provisions for headphones ).
- Compact: Can be used as a standalone headset without connecting it anywhere. Using the ‘Oculus Link’ feature, you can also beam from your computer. Or you can choose to connect it to any device using the USB Type-C cable or the Link cable. Overall the goggles is smaller in form factor than its competitors. Has a padded interface for comfortable wearing.
- Price: This VR goggles is quite affordable for the amazing quality it provides. Comes with 3D positional audio, hand tracking and haptic feedback.
- Wireless: This VR headset can function all by its own. No need to connect to any device ( though it requires Wifi ). Also has a solid battery that lasts atleast 2 hours
- Built-in apps: Even in the wireless mode, you can access a suite of impressive games, fitness apps, social spaces and a variety of entertainment.
- The major drawback with the Meta Quest 2 VR Headset is it being centralized. With the emergence of Web3 and the Metaverse, people want everything to be in a decentralized manner. Everyone in this ecosystem opts for anonymity. For ex: you dont need to reveal who you are for entering Decentraland or Sandbox etc. But with Meta Quest 2, you are required to login using your Facebook account -or- you would need to register with your KYC. This can be a major setback for the headset to penetrate the web3 user market.
HTC Vive Pro 2
$1399 ( get it HERE )
Consider HTC Vive Pro 2 as the premium by price VR headset. Definitely its a class apart in resolution and graphics when compared to competition. It is by far the most powerful and high performance goggles to immerse into the Metaverse.
Resolution: 4896 x 2448 pixels | Refresh rate: up to 90 /120 Hz
Processing power: PC tethered.
Display: LCD with 120 degrees field of view
- Experience: The virtual reality experience is simply breath taking with a 5K display. The graphics rending is smooth and seamless. The sound quality from the built in headphones is fantastic.
- Ergonomics: The Vive Pro 2 VR Headset is made to comfortably fit on your head. Sufficient soft padding is given. The goggles has easy and well placed knobs all around to adjust the headset in all angles. Also you can quickly tweak the lens to eyes distance for crisp focus.
- Sensors: Has the best in class tracking while standing or seated. Has integrated all essential sensors like the gyroscope, IPD sensor, proximity sensor and Steam VR tracking 2.0
- VR Apps: This premium VR goggles is built to work with the Steam VR platform. So you have access to the entire library and games inside.Also you can access HTC’s app store ‘Viveport’
- Price: One of the main turn-off factor is the price. Apart from being expensive, you would need to purchase certain important accessories separately. Even the wireless adaptor needs to be purchased separate. The ‘Viveport’ store subscription is also priced on a monthly basis.
- Minor inconveniences: The headset heats up a bit after sometime. If you are using the wire, care should be taken you dont trip over. Tracking controls need to setup among other connections. Also its still a bit bulky and heavy. Also the fact it is PC tethered requires you to have a computer with the minimum specs for a smooth experience. When taken to wireless mode, the refresh rate falls to 90 Hz.
- For the price tag, we would expect even better gaming controllers.
This article will be updated continually…