Dear miserable runner,
I too hate running. For this reason I have developed a set of motivational phrases to tell myself as I run. I am generously sharing these with you in hopes that they might be a secret weapon in your battle for the finish line.
- Run tall. Like a gentleman.
- Ride your legs (as though they are a separate robotic machine).
- You are overcoming successively greater opponents in a hero’s journey. Stage two!
- Master the moment. Make sure this step is just the most perfect running step. Time and distance will take care of themselves.
- Jason Scott Lee in Soldier!
- In the Bleach anime, Ichigo fights so hard that he dies…and then comes back to life from sheer determination. You can run one more mile.
- At this time, <insert name of friend who runs marathons for fun> is probably just starting out. What might they be thinking?