9 top things I learnt as a social media manager in 2017.
I’ll begin by stating this is not a definitive list (Ha, covered myself there).
- The definition of a social media manager. I naively assumed ‘something to do with Facebook and Twitter right?’ but there is a bit more to it.
2. That most social media managers are and I quote “Dipshits” (I have my girlfriend to thank for that observation).
3. You need to manage that ratio of order & chaos and bring some structure to it all. In other words, don’t wing it. Tweets for example…you want to educate, inform, amuse and engage, ahead of time and in real time.
4. A marketing calendar is your friend -websites like Hubspot give this information away for free so you don’t have to play catch up come Monday morning.
6. Invest in a pair of headphones and crank up Mr Oizo — you’ll need to occasionally zone out of your surroundings.
7. Be the cheerleader of your company but don’t over do it. I would always pose myself the question “Where do we stand to BENEFIT?” when I would be pushing out content onto social media. Sure, I could get some attention joining in a debate about #cupcakes on Twitter but what would the company be promoting?
8. Be prepared to deal with people who assume you sit on Facebook all day and tell them ‘Yes, that’s exactly what I do and guess what? I get paid for it’ and smirk.
9. Enjoy it! Because at the end of the day you’re not Milton.