Sights How-to (Parent Version)
A walk through the world’s FIRST classroom-connected digital sight word learning tool for teachers, parents and students
We just finished beta testing Sights across the U.S. (also in Canada, Ireland and New Zealand!), and the results are pretty incredible. Children whose parents use the Sights App for Parents are learning and retaining 3X MORE words than in years past!
Yep, you read that right.
When parents use Sights with their child’s teacher, their child learns to read 3X faster.
Below, find a comprehensive guide for how to use Sights as a parent.
**As of November 4, our Sights App allows parents to use Sights without a classroom code if they choose. Scroll down to discover more about the “Parent-Only” version of Sights.
How to set up the Sights App for Parents — Connected Version
- Have the classroom code handy. Have the classroom code flyer from your child’s teacher handy. Follow the instructions on the flyer: Go to the App Store on your smartphone/tablet (iTunes or Google Play) and search Sights by Educasic.
2. Connect Sights to your child’s classroom. After you download Sights from the App Store (it’s FREE!), you will be prompted to set up an account. First, enter your name. Then, enter your child’s name and the classroom code (found on their teacher’s classroom code flyer). Once this is done, your child’s teacher will get a notification that your child has been added to their Sights Dashboard for Teachers.
How to set up the Sights App for Parents — Parent-Only Version
- Enter your child WITHOUT a code. To use Sights without connecting to your child’s classroom, enter in your name and your child’s name then leave the “Classroom or Promo Code” field empty. Tap “Done.”
- Add words. Go to the settings menu and tap your child’s name. From this screen, you can enter words you’d like to help your child learn. Either manually enter words or take a picture of a list of words to add them.
How to set up the Sights Web App
1. Have the classroom code handy. Follow the instructions on the flyer: Go to www.getsights.com/read on your smartphone or tablet. Enter your promo code on the flyer and then follow the steps to create your account.
2. Save Sights to your home screen. Instead of opening a browser each time you and your child want to study, just save Sights right to your smart device’s home screen. Not sure how? Follow these simple instructions.
Congrats, you’re all set up!
Now, start using Sights:
- Study the current level of sight words. If you’re using the Connected version of Sights, your app will be automatically set to whatever level your child’s teacher assigns them, and the words for that week will be pre-loaded into the app. If you are using the Parent-Only version, your app will be loaded up with the words you’ve manually added. Sit down with your child and start a practice test by tapping GO! Tap YES if they know the word, and NO if they don’t. At the end of the practice test, the App will show you how many words your child got right, along with floating hearts as they master new words (my kids LOVE this).
- Turn on push notifications. Your child will remain on the current level until their teacher tests them in class, at which point the teacher will advance them to the next level. This will send a PUSH notification to your device and load the next level words.
- Set study reminders. In the App, visit the Settings menu (upper righthand corner) to set practice reminders — the App will send you PUSH notifications when it’s time for your child to practice their sight words. Very handy for busy parents!
Since the Sights App for Parents has an adaptive learning algorithm built into it, the App will show a combination of CURRENT and PAST level words that is unique to your child based on words they have struggled with on past levels. CURRENT level words are identified in the words tally at the top (EX: 12/32) — if the word is NEW, the number will be GREEN — if it is a PAST word, the number will be BLACK.
You can always add a child to the App. If you have more than one child using Sights, just go to the Settings menu (upper lefthand corner of the App) and click + Child. If your children are in the same class, you can use your classroom code for each. If you they are in different classes, you should have different classroom codes from each teacher.
Have multiple parents / caretakers using the App for the same child? The Sights App for Parents will recognize that the same student name with the same classroom code is being registered, and will prompt you to confirm. This way, whether the child practices with Dad on his iPhone, and then Grandma on her iPad the next night, the app will keep track of all results and send it to the teacher.
-Melissa Murphy, Founder + CEO of Educasic
Get your child’s teacher access to Sights — send them here!