How To Fix Error 3218 “Could Not Update”Record Locking Errors In MS Access?
Ms access is very helpful application for many small to mid-sized enterprises and many individual business owner used this application for maintaining and running their database. In this database numbers of records are get saved, so if you have to search for any particular record out of it then it is quiet time taking task, but with the ms access app you can get any information very quickly only by using few simple commands. If corruption occurs in the database it will render catastrophic consequences and may lead to shut down and huge financial crisis.
Suppose you have created a database in Access and saved it with a name Employee. And suddenly you found that your database is corrupted and whenever you tries to open it will shows an error message like the following:
Error 3218 “Could not update; currently locked.”
Error 3197 “The database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.”
Error 3260 “Couldn’t update; currently locked by user <name> on machine <name>.”
The above error will completely block you to access your database files and may corrupt your whole data saved in the database. Don’t worry because there is a solution to this also but before that you need to know what are the possible reasons behind the error 3218 “Could not update; currently locked.”
Reasons behind Error 3218 “Could not update; currently locked.”
• Database application may get corrupted.
• If the record has been locked by a user and any other user is trying to modify it.
• If two or more instances of the Microsoft Access application is running on the same PC.
• If the application usage a page record locking and has crossed the maximum 4K limit.
• The back-end application resides on a Novell Server and the maximum record locks have been exceeded.
How to fix this issue manually?
Arrange the Front-end application to local PC of every users
• Distribute a Front-end MDE instead of an MDB
• Restructure tables to reduce the size of the Memo and OLE field records.
• Split the database into a Back-end and Front-end
• Information on design multi-user applications
• Avoid binding data entry forms to a multi-table query
• Do not run updated queries on records that the users are currently editing or using.
Other way to fix this error: using Access Database Recovery tool
In order to fix this error permanently you can take help of the trusted third party repair tool and for this problem the best recommended one is the Access Database Recovery tool. As it easily retrieve back your lost corrupted MDB file and it restores your access database with all queries, table’s structure, primary key’s, table’s data, objects etc.