Nicotine Patches in India
Nicotine patches are used for smoking cessations. the skin absorbs nicotine into the body through this transdermal patch. The released nicotine binds to the nicotine receptors in the body, reduces the nicotine craving and withdrawal symptoms related to termination of smoking. The nicotine replacement therapy can be done using patches, gum, nasal sprays, inhalers and lozenges.
The nicotine patch works by releasing a measured dose of nicotine into the skin, helping smokers get off their nicotine addiction and lessen the effects of nicotine withdrawal. In this way, study has found that nicotine patches can help people top smoking and encourage others to do so.
A nicotine patch is easy to use. Use the patch on the day you decide to quit. Remove the backing from the patch and instantly press the patch on the skin. Make sure that the skin spot is dry, clean and hairless. Press firmly against the skin for 10 seconds and let go. A new patch should be applied daily at the same time to a different spot on the skin. Make certain to not leave the patch on for more than 24 hours as it can lead to skin irritation and loss in strength.
These patches come in 3 measured quantities for people who smoke a certain number of cigarettes a day. The nicotine patch 21 mg is to be used for those who smoke more than 10 cigarettes a day. This dosage should continue for at least 6 weeks. The next step is to use the nicotine patch 14 mg for the following 2 weeks. If you smoke less than 10 cigarettes in a day, you could start the nicotine replacement therapy using this patch of 14 mg for the first 6 weeks. The nicotine patch 7 mg is used in the final 2 weeks irrespective of which dosage you began with.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind before using the nicotine patch therapy:
· Consult a doctor before starting the therapy.
· Carefully read all the directions and information in the User’s Guide.
· Do not use more than the prescribed dosage. You may suffer from unsafe side effects.
· Do not use more than one patch at a time or cut the patch in half/smaller pieces.
· If you missed a dose, do not use 2 does at a time. Skip it rather.
· If showing signs of skin reaction like hives, rash, swelling, redness, etc, uneasiness in breathing, chest pain, swelling of the mouth, throat etc., immediately get consulted by a doctor.
· It is essential to wash hands after applying or removing the patch.