What to look for in a boss!
I just need to say it like it is, I despise “ Bullshit, Fake shit, Kissing ass, inferiority complex, mediocrity and any environment that requires me to dim my light to avoid threatening a superior”. Every time I say this I always wonder if I will ever be successful. We live in a world where being real is a rebellious act.
Luckily I have come across people that can only tolerate excellence and expect you to bring your best work forward. People who keep requesting you to go back to the drawing board until you get it right. People who will not waste time accepting work that is below your potential. People who helped me shape this article — what to look for in a boss:
- Bosses that exude self-confidence, self-belief and self-assurance: They know and trust their work and seek to surround themselves with people that are shining bright. If you are not their partner , you have no business kissing their ass ;)
- Bosses that actually love what they do: Never expect a boss who doesn’t like what they do to appreciate your work, they could care less if it was possible. Only a boss that loves his work can help you grow in his team, look for passionate people.
- Bosses that use curse words: You won’t believe this, but this is like a top determinant as to whether I would want someone to be my boss or not. People who curse a lot tend to be bullshit free, real, easy-going and that’s really the kind of person you want to follow.
- Bosses that separate personal and work Life: You can just tell those that bring their personal issues to work and how it dramatically affects those around them i.e bullies. It should be a choice to get involved with your boss’s personal Life, which works out perfectly between two real people.
- Bosses that remind you who you are: So of course you want a boss that really knows you, someone that can see through you and know exactly what you need to get to that next level.Life has its tough challenges that beat you to the ground, you need a boss that will remind you who you are.
- Bosses that believe in you more than you believe in yourself: The twist is, chances are you believe in yourself more than they believe in you, but may be because of the shit you’ve been through, you block that self-belief to avoid pain. You need a boss that will help you overcome self-sabotage.
- Bosses that are actually NOT assholes to anyone: They may not be in a position to extend their goodness to everyone, but at the very least they are not weighing down anyone. Some bosses are only good to the people that report to them and treat others that seek their support like they are not worthy of their time and effort. That’s the fake shit you want to avoid.
- Bosses that know how to GENUINELY have a good time: Whether it’s laughing at a good joke or being able to be the life of the team offsite. Positive vibes, happy days!
- Bosses that communicate clearly and continuously manage your expectations on time: You would think that every boss does this, but in reality, many fail at this. That’s why it’s important to follow a boss that loves what he does, it becomes easier to do the small things that are crucial.
- Bosses that are like you, but have more experience and knowledge: You will meet bosses who make you realize that’s you in 3–6 years. How beautiful it would be to work with such a leader, following them means following who you are destined to be. It doesn’t get any better than that.