A chairman’s speech at a wedding
What is your priority ?
Your wedding or your marriage?
As the chairman at the wedding reception and in line with my purpose, I told the audience a story of a friend who walked into my office few weeks after his wedding to borrow N20,000 for upkeep. His wedding cost about N3 Million. Wedding is that one-day event; Marriage is that life-time experience. Would you prefer a fantastic wedding and a marriage full of financial frustration? On the other hand, would you prefer a moderately priced wedding and a marriage where there is so much money to spend after buying the necessary items.
As an African thinker, I figured that the poverty in our society is induced by our insistence on impressing people that don’t care whether we exist or die. My generation should consider the following:
1. At least 60% of attendees of Nigerian weddings are unknown to the couple. Guests wouldn’t even recognize couples on the street after the wedding, because there is no connection beyond the food and drinks.
2. Lower class and middle class weddings in Nigeria are largely financed by the entire savings of couples who must have worked for long hours with meager income for a period of three to five years and left to start their lives from scratch after this one-day event.
3. Our weddings are conducted under the impression that guest would present quality gifts to couples, but in end the, couples get plastics and kitchen utensils as if their entire life would be spent in the kitchen.
4. The society and family members can afford to sponsor the supply of drinks and food at weddings rather than sponsor business ideas that can sustain marriages of a couples for a lifetime.
5. We can put an end to financial frustration in marriages and domestic violence if the monies spent during weddings are diverted to help couples comfortably start their lives.
Don’t let anyone put you under pressure! Anyone who insists on an elaborate wedding should provide the money.
‘Aso Ebi’ is not compulsory!(My mother and my family folks know that there is no mortal man living or dead, that can compel me to buy Aso Ebi) Bridal train is not by force! Groom’s men are not essential! The most important memory of any wedding is the picture of the smiling couple, which is placed on the wall of every home. This picture does not show the cost of renting the reception hall. It does not show the price of the cake or cost of decoration or the rented Limousine.
It is better to monetize gifts for couples to decide what to do with it. A monetary gift after a wedding is more valuable than before the wedding. The society should demonstrate genuine love for couples.
If you can afford it, please ‘turn it up’! Otherwise, don’t let anyone put you under pressure.