A few weeks ago I was having a conversation with a client and she asked about LinkedIn Groups…
Should I be posting in the groups?
What should I be posting?
If you are overwhelmed by LinkedIn Groups and find yourself questioning on whether you should be commenting, posting, and joining in on conversations…try asking yourself these questions.
- Why am I a member of this group?
- Do I have something worthwhile to contribute?
- How can I collaborate and meet people within the group?
For many of us our goal on LinkedIn is to connect with future clients and meet people we can collaborate with…it’s always about building your network.
However, my client said, ”Sometimes the stuff people post in groups doesn’t make sense and I don’t even know how to respond.”
Many times people are posting in groups and sharing ‘their stuff’ and not contributing to the group in any way. They push content out there and expect people to react to it.
DON’T BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.
Here’s some advice for you…
- Take a few minutes to review the groups you are a part of and review the content that has been posted in the past few weeks.
- If you open up a group that doesn’t have any new content…you might want to think about why you are even in the group. Many people start groups and no one tends to them…so they become stale and people don’t comment on them. Get rid of them if they aren’t active.
- Look at the right hand side of each group as you open up the group page. What is the sole purpose of the group? The rules are usually posted in the content and this helps you better understand how you can contribute to the group. For instance, some may say the group is for networking and business building, and others may be a alumni group used to stay in touch. There are many groups out there and each one has its own unique purpose. Pay attention to the rules because if your group states no marketing and you post your new program in there…you might find yourself kicked out of the group.
If you want to participate in the group, be respectful of the rules.
- Participating in local groups or in areas that you do business is a smart way to let people know who you are. Take the time to go in and read what people are posting and when you can add value…make a comment and start a conversation.
I find that most groups these days are all about posting…and little conversation. If you find yourself in one of those groups…you may want to re-think your strategy for being there. If no one is commenting on anyone’s posts…you have a group of people who aren’t reading anything…they are posting and hoping to get lucky!
Be one of those people who try to get conversations started around good topics and you may find yourself being noticed more than ever! LinkedIn is an amazing business tool and when used the right way it can make a difference in your business.
I challenge you to start participating in your LinkedIn Groups and making a difference! Start with one or two groups and get your feet wet…see what happens!
LOOKING FOR OTHER WAYS TO USE LINKEDIN TO BUILD YOUR BUSINESS?
Download my 9-Simple Strategies to Make Your Content Marketing Plan Easy to Execute. I share some great ideas about how to infuse LinkedIn into your regular social media-marketing plan.
This eBook is packed with information to help you start producing social media like all those powerhouse brands you envy…not just on Instagram but on all the social media platforms!