Who Said It : Chris Christie or Ignatius J. Reilly?
9 Quotes from either GOP candidate/New Jersey governor Chris Christie or Ignatius J. Reilly, character in A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.
One loves New Orleans, the other New Jersey. One is a character from a remarkable work of fiction, the other is a real live flesh person.
But the differences seem to stop there: These two both call ’em like they seem ’em, even if how they seem ’em is pretty dickish; they’re complicated individuals with somewhat displaced passions (e.g., Doris Day movies and Iowa pig crates); and they both wear enormous pants.
Read the quotes below (totally out of context and curated to service a trivial agenda) and see if you can tell who said which phrases.
- “Is there any wonder why we are in such big trouble? Any question why the people don’t trust their government anymore, and demand a change?”
- “Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty.”
- “Over the years, I have become very good at getting out of things I don’t want to do.”
- “I would rather die than be in the United States Senate.”
- “She spoke the truth, bluntly, directly, and without much varnish. I am her son.”
- “Sit down and shut up.”
- “Oh shut up your little pussymouth, you mongoloid.”
- “I am an anachronism. People realize this and resent it.
- “I would never fall asleep during a Springsteen show.”
Let’s see how you did.
- Christie. Don’t trust the government! Trust me.
- Reilly. This one is indeed Reilly, though Christie did once lament the fact that New Jersey was not a dictatorship.
- Reilly. To be fair, Ignatius was probably much lazier than Christie.
- Christie. Drama queen!
- Christie. Speaking about his own mother. Ignatius’s relationship with his mom was…a little complicated.
- Christie. He LOVES to yell at people who don’t like him.
- Reilly. Thank good grief. Ignatius wins the worse-off.
- Reilly. Of course, judging by his stance on a marijuana laws and minimum wage, Christie doesn’t really seem of his time either.
- Christie. This one is obviously Christie and not Reilly, but it’s really very stupid.